Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Identifying people later than 1901 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Katharina

Katharina Report 22 Apr 2008 15:30

I have a letter written to my gg grandmother (Charlotte Jane Chase)in 1918. It's a long letter, thanking her for her support and talking about her son (my gg uncle) who died in WW1 in 1917.

The writer is a Mrs E Tadd of Clerkenwell (have the full address at home on the original letter). I've got no idea who this woman is but she obviously somehow met my gg grandmother through some sort of London network of women with sons who'd gone to war (she mentions her sons don't remember my gg uncle, so they didn't know each other via their children).

Anyone got any ideas how I can find more info out on this Mrs Tadd - I think if I were her descendent I'd be very interested to read the letter, it's so hearfelt and moving. I'd like to be able to pass it on to one of her descendents, if they're interested...

Any ideas about getting more info? Thanks in advance!!
Kat ;-)

Katharina

Katharina Report 22 Apr 2008 15:45

Thanks Paula - I would never have thought of that - I just assumed as a woman she wouldn't be on the roll in 1918??

Thanks so much Jim, that one is very possible - the right ages anyway... the only problem is, it's going on the assumption that she was in Clerkenwell 17 years before she wrote the letter... I will look up the actual address when I go home and see if there are any other clues in the letter that might help.

Thanks guys!!

Katharina

Katharina Report 22 Apr 2008 15:47

Wow wow, thanks Paula, that has to be the son! Hmm, funny thing is, she mentions in the letter about how lucky her sons were to escape, although she doesn't use any punctuation so a lot of the info is a little hard to decipher and it's possible one of her sons died... the surname is fairly unusual... and reading that address, Rawstorne St, I'm almost certain that's the one on the letter!

WOW!! Thanks for being so fast! Must get home and cross check this afternoon, how exciting! Thanks so much again to both of you! ;-)

Katharina

Katharina Report 22 Apr 2008 16:01

Thanks Jim, I'm 99% sure that's the same John - just did the 1901 search again myself and noticed that the kids are all born Islington, just like the dad. I've found four people who've got matches to James in their trees, so have emailed... wow, so fast, thanks for all your help!!

K

Katharina

Katharina Report 23 Apr 2008 10:45

Hi all

Just want to say a heartfelt thanks to Jim and Paula who helped me out yesterday re. finding the descendents of a woman who wrote a letter to my gg grandmother in 1918. Amazingly, thanks to this help, I've found a whole family who are utterly beside themselves at the prospect of reading the letter their bereaved gg aunt wrote 90 years ago!! It's most exciting! So thanks, much appreciated! I hope I can help someone out like that in future.

Kat ;-)