Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry again!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jansmith

jansmith Report 23 Apr 2008 08:05

Been fine and now won't open images anyone else got that problem?

jansmith

jansmith Report 23 Apr 2008 08:39

thanks i'll try that

Iain001

Iain001 Report 23 Apr 2008 08:42

I have not had the problem before, now I can open up just 3 images before it stops loading. Just opening up another window for me doesn't work, I have to start the session all over again for it to refuse to work after just another 3 images.
This is no good when you need to search a large number of images

Carol

Carol Report 23 Apr 2008 09:29

I missed this posting and have just put a message on regarding the same problem. Mine has been like this for about 3 days and I could open the first two births then absolutely nothing.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 23 Apr 2008 09:38

I have sent Ancestry a email about this, reply was sorry this will be looked at and rectified when next updated. What use is that!!!!

Frances

Kate

Kate Report 23 Apr 2008 11:46

I don't think it's just Windows, either, Mick. I'm having trouble getting some images to load and I'm on a Mac. It tends to download the top couple of inches of the page and then stop.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 23 Apr 2008 11:48

I've sent Ancestry 3 emails about this problem now. Still haven't received a reply.

Iain001

Iain001 Report 23 Apr 2008 18:48

I have just emailed ancestry. I just found a record I was looking for and now it won't let me view it. I have had to close down and start all over again.
I guess by the time I find the record again I will have the same problem. Seems every 2 or 3 views of images and you can't see any more.

Iain001

Iain001 Report 23 Apr 2008 20:04

Ok, seems the problem is with the "Norton Confidential Browser Helper Object"
just found this on Rootschat and carried out the instructions. I can only say wow, what a difference this has made to the speed of my pc, in addition the problems viewing ancestry images seems to have gone, lets hope it stays that way.

This is the extract from the posting

"I couldn't find the "Norton Confidential Browser Helper Object" anywhere (expecting to find it in my Norton Protection Center) so I did a google search and found lots of message boards describing the same problem.

For others with this problem you find it by going Start/Control Panel/Internet Options/Programs/Manage Add Ons. Then find Norton confidential browser helper in the list [add ons that have been used by internet explorer]

Then click "disable" at the bottom of window where it says "settings."

Then click "OK"

You will then need to restart your computer.

Not only has it stopped the problem with Ancestry (it was my only problem site as well) but my computer seems to be running much faster."