Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can't find a death - can anyone help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 23 Apr 2008 15:37

Just wondered if anyone can tell me how to tackle this now.

I have my ggg grandfather Thomas Henry Seymour living in Liverpool on the 1871 census. His wife Sarah remarries in 1879 and he is nowhere to be found so I logically assumed he had died.

However I have looked through the death index from 1871 to 1881 and found no sign of him. His last child was actually born 1876 so I had extended the search somewhat. I considered the entire country too, although I have no reason to believe he was out of the county.

I found an entry for Liverpool in 1877 and although the age was wrong I thoughy perhaps there was an error so ordered it. It arrived today and is not him - wrong area, wrong wife, wrong age. He was born 1844, this man was 60 years old.

What can I do now? Can anyone advise? Many thanks. Chris

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 23 Apr 2008 16:25

The marriage in 1893 is probably Thomas son born 1868

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Apr 2008 16:34

Do you have the cert for Sarah's 're-marriage'?

Selena in South East London

Selena in South East London Report 23 Apr 2008 17:51

Is this a possible? - age 35 but unfortunately London not Liverpool.

Deaths Jun 1878
SEYMOUR Thomas 35 W.Ham 4a 26

Selena

Christine

Christine Report 23 Apr 2008 18:25

Hi everyone
Had to go on school run and make tea!
Yes, he married Sarah Ann Price and she went on to marry William Valentine. I do have the certs for these marriages.
I also have marriages for his son Thomas Henry.
I've revisited what I know about the family and his father was apparently born Middlesex. I suppose this could mean he may have been visiting relatives in West Ham. The age fits doesn't it? I'll order this one . Fingers crossed.
Thanks for everyone's help.
Chris

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 23 Apr 2008 22:31

Chris

Let us know when you get the death cert if its the correct one. He died quite young didnt he?

Christine

Christine Report 23 Apr 2008 22:49

Will do Margaret. Yes, longevity is not really a feature of my family (unfortunately).

Chris

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 24 Apr 2008 07:47

Just to add. I found my grandmothers death in a different place to where she had lived for 35 years. Fortunately it was registered in her birthplace so I knew it was her.

I was hoping to find a relative living there who had registered the death and was disappointed to see it was my dad.
You might have more success