Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can they do this

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 24 Apr 2008 17:17

Last year a person on here copied one of my cousins tree that had myself hubby and my parents etc on.I had e-mailed this person weeks earlier asking about my gggrandad on there tree and got a reply they did not know as it was a small corner of there tree.Weeks later all my family appeared.I asked them to remove all my living family giving them a list and they refused.E-mailed gr and they removed them and gave them a warning.This week they have my mum back up as living and her surname and year of birth.Can they do this now? Annie

♥Athena

♥Athena Report 24 Apr 2008 17:28

No - they shouldn't, especially as they've already been asked to remove these details.

Tell them again or report to GR.

Athena

Angela

Angela Report 24 Apr 2008 17:33

This happened to me years ago on GR. I don't add living relatives names anymore, I just add the first name as "Living" and married surname as normal. I also try and leave out any information on them.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Apr 2008 17:43

If the person is described as 'living' and the forename is not listed, then I can't see that any rules have been broken.............

Pegsolocity

Pegsolocity Report 24 Apr 2008 17:55

Yes, I have had something similar occur to me. After several requests I did get the guy concerned to turn on the Hide living relations option, but only after I had explained in detail how to get to the right screen.

We all need to be more aware with what we publish with regard to personal details, we have a responsibility to our own relatives and those of other members.

Is it a case that most Genes Reunited members do not know about the Hide Living Relations? Should the Hide option be the default option, then if a member chooses to show details of living relatives they switch it on.

Since my experiance I no longer include living relatives unless they are a key join to other parts of my tree, if it's necessary, then I only add limited information in terms of birth year and origins

Angela

Angela Report 24 Apr 2008 17:56

I only decided to add them as 'living' after someone copied all information. I originally had their first names and surnames and additional information.

ann

ann Report 24 Apr 2008 18:11

I dont have living on my tree.It was taken from a cousins tree.This person has never seen my tree.Another cousin asked them to remover her living but had to go down the same road as me.Her full name and date of birth are now showing again. Annie