Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why oh why do we have so many 'Trying to Find' boa

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SueS

SueS Report 25 Apr 2008 16:04

It doesn't matter what board you look on....there they are ...Trying to Find.

Has the History board ever been used as intended? Even the Tips Board has TTFS and the Records Office board should be renamed the Look Up Board

I've just stopped searching for someone because a kind member has posted to say it was a duplicate post that has been sorted. Does anyone else find this annoying?
Some people have the same post on all the boards. There must be a better way to organise the message boards ...anyone any ideas or tips?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 25 Apr 2008 16:24

GR should advise new members on how the system works.....having said that....surely common sense dictates that one posting per request is sufficient.

Incidentally, there is only one TTF board.........

The problem is that it is now 'threaded' and people use it to request lookups, which is not its intended purpose.................'threading' it was one of GR's bigger blunders.....and there have been a few!

If you have suggestions for improvement.........contact GR.........the members can't alter anything.

Potty

Potty Report 25 Apr 2008 16:26

I am beginning to think that one board would be better than all the ones we have at the moment.

I don't usually check the History or Surname Information boards but have just done so after reading your post - and yes, lots of Trying to Finds! and that other bugbear - people answering very old posts.

SueS

SueS Report 25 Apr 2008 19:31

Hi Reggie, yes, I know there is only one real TTF board but my moan is that all the other boards have TTF posts on them.
Potty's idea of only 1 board isn't so potty!