Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificate - Statutory Declaration???

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicky

Nicky Report 26 Apr 2008 13:59

Hi there, I am helping out a cousin with his family tree and have just received a birth certificate for his father. I am a little confused though as in the margin of the certificate, something has obviously been added later; father's name, occupation and mother's former surname. It says this was corrected 7 months after the birth was registered following the "production of a Statutory Declaration" by the mother and another female. Has anyone come across something similar to this before when receiving a certificate? Many thanks. Nicky

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 26 Apr 2008 14:14

I have one where the father made a declaration and it is shown as fathers name and address as per declaration dated one year after the birth. The birth is registered one year late under the authority of the Registrar General.
The father was not present at the registration.

Nicky

Nicky Report 26 Apr 2008 14:19

Thanks for that Keith. In my case, the "statutory declaration" has been made by two women, one being the mother and the other a woman of whom the name means nothing to me - the surname is totally different - it's really strange.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Apr 2008 14:33

The other could have been the registrar,ie a witness,,,,,

I have one where the birth was registered in the same county but a different place to the birth,,,so the birth could be entered into the corrct registrer in the correct place,

Also the parents may not have been maried at the time of registration,,but could with proof have the birth certificate &entry ammended within a year to include the fathers name with proof of marriage certificate,,,**,as per declaration,**

Have you checked the parents marriage date out,??

Nicky

Nicky Report 26 Apr 2008 14:43

Kay, Yes, I am checking out the marriage index now to see if I can find anything, but as yet nothing. Makes sense that the second woman could have been a witness or the registrar, so thanks for that suggestion.