Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

brick wall. declared dead but no record. UPDATED

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 26 Apr 2008 14:29

Where can I find this infomation.

Henry Oribine went missing in the 1940's he may have used the name Frank Gillespie. where did he go?

I bet most of you like a puzzle. Can you help me find my grandad. He May still be alive we just don't know. He may have gone to Canada. Older family members have hinted at this possibility as he had older brothers there..

Can anyone help me with this puzzle?

My grandfather, Henry Oribine known as Harry went missing in the 1940's. At the time he may have been a deserter from the royal artillery regiment. I think he joined the merchant navy under the name of frank Gillespie he went to Canada were his ship was torpedoed around 1941. Someone later told my granny that he was killed on that ship but we really dont know the truth. He may have used the name of Frank Gillespie

Can anyone name the ship? Or its list of dead?

I know my granny didn't receive a widow's pension, she had to wait 7 years for Harry to be declared dead.

Harry went missing from Greenock, Scotland in the 1940's.
Did he go to join his older Brothers in Canada? Ontario.

My grandads real name was Henry Oribine born in Greenock, Scotland on 2 April 1918. He was known as Harry.

He married in Luton to Sarah McCann in 1937. Sarah DOB is 4 June 1919. They had 2 children. Margaret Oribine born in Luton 31 June 1938 and James Oribine born in Greenock in 1939, James is now deceased he died in 1940.

Harry Mother was Margaret Sweeney born around 1885 she was from Greenock and his father was David Oirbine 1871 in Port Glasgow? They married in Greenock in 1914. This was Davids second wife.

Where did Harry go? Did Harry remarry? Did Harry have a family?
Did Harry change his name.

It is all water under the bridge now. We would be grateful to received any information it will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Many Thanks

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Apr 2008 14:51

Second World War.

David Oribine,
age 21,
Leading Seaman.of the Royal Canadian Naval Reseves.,
15/11/1942,
on HMS Quebec,

Son of John &Kathleen Oribine of Hamilton Ontario,Canada,

The only Harry Oribine to leave by emigration from UK.

Harry Oribine,in 1911 from Glasgow to Quebec Canada,his birth year is given as---1891....of course he could have flown,which wont be shown but at that time 1940's I should think it would have been on the cards,,

If he was at sea and no body could be found or trace ,its normal law procedure to wait 7 years to be declared dead,,,,so he may well have been lost at sea with no trace,

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Apr 2008 15:26

Frank Gillespies leaving via Ships Passenger lists,

1948,from Southampton to New York.birth year as 1922,

1957,from Southampton to Quebec,birth year as 1925,

1956,Frank J,from Liverpool to St John NB Canada.birth year as,1929,

You would need to see the actual list for further info/,,,,,,@ findmypast .com

Sarah

Sarah Report 26 Apr 2008 17:41

Hi Kay thank you so much.

David Oribine would have been related to Harry.

Also the Harry who emigrated would have been related.

I will look up the ships lists as you have suggested.

Maybe he did die at sea but why can't I find a notice of death any where? Surely it must be some where?

Kay????

Kay???? Report 26 Apr 2008 19:22

No Sally..without a body there wont be any death record,,,,,,,,,,,

he cant have a death record till hes been pronounced dead,,,,and a body found,,,,,

you would need to seach and obtain his service record which may state,** missing in action,,presumed dead** ,,,,,,,,,,but there will be no offical record of it,

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 26 Apr 2008 22:19

Hi. I didn't read your postings carefully, but my mum's cousin was in WWII (Canadian military), his plane was lost over the ocean, and he was declared dead by Canadian authorities several months later. Perhaps they made a mistake in declaring his death since there wasn't a body, but we still have the letter his father received.

PS The initial correspondence did declare him missing. The second letter changed missing to deceased.

Sarah

Sarah Report 27 Apr 2008 11:29

Harry was a deserter from the army.

He had been wounded in battle then he lost a baby son all this and he was only 20 at the time.

My nan must have felt ashamed that her husband was a deserter it carried a terrible stigma at the time. My mum has never aasked about her dad because of the hurt it might have caused.

Harry joined the merchant navy under another name we believe it to be frank Gillepie. Harry sent his last communication from the ship which was taking food from Canada to the uk. This ship went down. This was around May 1941 I believe. It was on it way back from Canada.

My nan never recieved a pension as he was a deserter. The merchant navy had no real name for him. My nan lived in dought for many many years.

My nan remarried in 1947 as Harry had been declared dead. We dont know who declared him dead? How did it work in those days. My nan said she was contacted by someone to say he was declared dead.

Sarah

Sarah Report 11 May 2008 09:14

Update to this posting.

I have found out that Henry was in the army and they do have a record for him. They have send us the paper work to have his Army record released.

The problem yet again is we do not have the record of death that they require to release his Army records.

If we could have his record we might take some comfort from what we find. At least we would have some firm dates to work to.

My granny who was Henry wife is very very poorly and not lightly to be with us for much longer. I would really like to be able to offer her some conclusion to this very sad story.

Sarah

Sarah Report 11 May 2008 09:39

Thankyou

I gave my mum the form and I have asked he to fill it in. Fingers crossed.

when I spoke to the Army records office they said I needed that death details or they couldn't release the deatils.

I have been searching for Henry for 4 years but it is just a brick wall.

Maybe he did die at sea under another name. I am trying to prove that at the moment.

It really is a puzzel. I realy wish I could find a lead for my granny.