Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

VISTA HATERS PLEASE READ( I know there are MANY!!)

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 17:03

Hi all,

I was changed to Vista from XP just before Christmas and absoloutely HATED it !! - Sooo Slow! - Sooo Clumsy !! - Like waiting to watch somebody watching somebody watching paint dry !!

Anyway, I was just about to 'downgrade' back to XP but this morning I downloaded Service Pack 1 and it now seems to work - Sooo quick it is giving me a headache !!

So - download this pack - it took 2 hours for me but WELL worth it.

I am a 'happy bunny'

Dea x

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥

♥♥♥Debbie♥♥♥ Report 26 Apr 2008 17:16

Thanks just doing it now

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 26 Apr 2008 17:20

got to say dea not had a problem with speed etc ive got vista premium and has been fine but just out of interest what memory have you got and what cpu processor have you got?

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 17:27

Fuzzy,

Sorry - not very technical but I have something like 250 GB?? and very high speed - I don't know what cpu means but it is a Hewlett Packard?? - only bought for me in December - I was SSSooo disappointed, but it is O.K. now !!

Dea x

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 26 Apr 2008 17:27

I wondered why people complained about vista but it must be because sP1 was already downloaded when i got my pc. I find it is OK and not slow at all.

ann
glos

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 17:34

Well,

'There you go' Ann, - I wondered why some people thought it was O.K. !!!!

The difference seems to be the Service Pack !! - I just wish they would have told us - It is like magic now !!

Dea x

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 26 Apr 2008 17:39

hi dea

the reason i asked is because, vista needs to have a dual core or quad core to run at a good speed. the 250 gb is your hard drive and not your memory

to find out what processor and memory you have if you:

click on the windows key in between alt and control and press R at the same time this will then bring up the Run box if you type in DXDIAG and press enter this will tell you what processor and memory you have.

don't want you to mess your computer up as know people who have recently downloaded service pack 1 and they have started having problems with it and have have had to format their pc and start vista from the beginning again. xx

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 17:46

Thank you Fuzzy - I DO appreciate your help but I just don't understand your instructions??

I think I remember having a RAM of 1 ? - does this make sense, - if not, could you set it out a bit more simply for me so I can check?

Many thanks,

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 17:55

OOOhh - gottit:

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64xDuel core processor 4000+(2CPU's) ~2.IGHZ

Memory 1022MB RAM.

It means nothing to me but does it sound O.K. to you??

Many thanks,

Dea x

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 26 Apr 2008 17:57

sorry dea

on your keyboard to the left of your space bar you should see 4 buttons:

fn(function)
ctrl(control)
the "windows" button (looks a bit like a flag)lol
alt key

if you press on the "windows" key and the letter R at the same time it will come up with a box(run box)

then type in this: DXDIAG

this will then give you your processor (needs to be dual core or quad core to give good speed)

it will also give you how much memory (ram) you have.

if you can try that what does it say about your memory and processor? x

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 18:00

I think our messages have crossed - I believe I have sent you the info?

Dea x

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 26 Apr 2008 18:01

hi dea

thats good what you've got so you shouldn't have been having any problems.ive got the dual core and ive not had any problems and i haven't got the service pack 1 in.

the only thing i could suggest dea is if you start having any problems go back to where you bought your pc from as it should have been running fine without the service pack

sorry to scare the life out of you with my requests lol xx

Dea

Dea Report 26 Apr 2008 18:04

Not at all - It is just so nice of you to help.

Many thanks,

Dea x

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 26 Apr 2008 18:09

your welcome :))

FRANK06

FRANK06 Report 26 Apr 2008 20:33

Hi Guys,

The ideal minimum RAM memory setup for Windows Vista Premium is 2GB.
If you right click on the right hand side of your Vista screen, you can bring up Gadget Gallery.
Here can be accessed the CPU Meter which shows Central Processing Unit usage and RAM Meter which shows Random Access Memory.
I presently have Two Gigabytes RAM (2044 MB) installed with Vista Premium and the meter is showing 55% RAM usage while only online, so to have only 1GB (1022 MB) means you are really neat on memory. An extra 1GB would help no end.

I have also after some intrepidation, just installed Windows SP1 for Vista and I am relieved to say it works perfectly. My system which came with Vista pre-installed suffered no ill effects although XP upgrades do seem to have suffered driver problems.
Perhaps some XP updaters could fill in the blanks.

FUZZY BEAR

FUZZY BEAR Report 26 Apr 2008 20:47

hi frank i must be the lucky one probably not many of us around as my vista preminum has been fine not had problems with it going slow etc my RAM is at 63% usage hope it doesn't start going pear shaped after me saying how good its been lol