Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

national archives ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Diane

Diane Report 27 Apr 2008 16:24

i have found a medal card on the national archives site.The cost is £3.50 but what do you get???sorry for being a bit dim

Potty

Potty Report 27 Apr 2008 16:28

Just a list of medals awarded usually. If you have Ancestry you could try looking at one on there for the one you want or just look at any to get an idea of what you would get for your £3.50.

Diane

Diane Report 27 Apr 2008 16:30

Thanks Potty,but i dont have ancestry.....thanks

Diane

Diane Report 27 Apr 2008 16:33

What other informatio would you get on a medal card?

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 27 Apr 2008 16:37

If you scroll down the Medal Cards search page of the National Archives, you will see examples of the cards and an explanation of exactly what they contain.

I can't stress enough, the importance of reading the information on search pages, you will learn so much as well as saving yourself a lot of wasted effort.

Jennifer

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 27 Apr 2008 19:48

hi there,
I got two medal cards from national archives. You get the person you are looking for as well as others on the page. It tells you their name and rank and also if they were injured or dead as mine says, also which medals they got and where they fought at the time. Also the date of the incident. It is helpful to have the registered number. I got mine because finding records at kew is quite hard, you could be lucky, but a lot were destroyed in the second world war.
ally

Diane

Diane Report 27 Apr 2008 20:36

Thanks for that Ally

Diane