Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Was this ancestor a bigamist? What do you think?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Krissie

Krissie Report 28 Apr 2008 10:16

Just received a birth cert. for Thomas Lloyd [yippee!] but I'm not sure what this means:
in the box for "name, surname and maiden surname of mother" was
"Ann Lloyd late Williams formerly Lewis"

Does this mean that her maiden name was Lewis and she was married before to a Mr. Williams?

Interestingly enough, on the 1861 census there is a lodger at her address with the name of John Williams and a son called William Williams.

Or was her maiden name Williams and she was previously married to a Mr. Lewis?

How does this all fit together?
Any help appreciated.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Apr 2008 10:50

Hi,
It means her maiden name was Lewis,,,former married name Williams,, formally Lewis before this..........,,,,,,so yes it looks like she was previously married,, to a Mr Williams,,,,,,,,,,,,!

If you get a copy of her mariage cert to Mr Lloyd it could state she was a widow,??

Krissie

Krissie Report 28 Apr 2008 11:02

thanks Kay, but who do you think the lodgers were then?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Apr 2008 11:52

Probably just that......lodgers. Williams is a common name.............especially in Wales, where I assume these people were, taking into account all the surnames you quote.

Kay????

Kay???? Report 28 Apr 2008 11:56

Krissie,
You dont say which year Thomas Lloys was bn,,?

,it maybe possible to find the first marriage for Ann Lewis to Williams,,,,,,,,

PDH not so new now!

PDH not so new now! Report 28 Apr 2008 12:03

Krissie,
I wouldn't rule out bigamy- I was quite shocked when I first started and found just that.....but everyone on here explained it was reasonably common, as they couldn't get divorced back then.
I also have one where the husband remarried bigamously, but the first wife lived with the "lodger" as his missis for 40 years!!
Petrina

Krissie

Krissie Report 28 Apr 2008 12:28

Thomas Lloyd was born in november 1848 in Brecknock, Brecon, Wales.

I found a marriage on free BMD of a William Lloyd to an Anne Williams in Rhayader, Brecon june qtr. 1848 which look as if she was pregnant at the time of the marriage.

There are quite a few marriages of an Ann Lewis to a Mr. Williams, including a couple to a John Williams [same name as on the census] but as mentioned, these names are all very common in Wales.