Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Dillend (?) Staffordshire

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 28 Apr 2008 11:33

Anybody heard of this place?
If you look at the 1851 census for Joseph Day (1796), living in Penkridge, Staffs, it says his birthplace is Dillend, Staffs. I've failed to find any trace of it, but can't even think of an alternative transcription from the original.
Any ideas?

Pamela

Pamela Report 28 Apr 2008 11:54

Hi Liz

I've had a look at the census and it defintely says Dillend, but I cannot find any trace of it when I search for the place, Did a search on the Latterday Saints site and I found a Joseph Day (1796) living in Quarnforth, Staffordshire. Do you think this could be him?

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 28 Apr 2008 12:11

Hi Liz
I could only find a Dilhorne in Staffs doesn't sound likely. Perhaps it is the name of the house he was born in? Or part of a village?

Sorry can't be of any help!

Kaz :o)

Alistair

Alistair Report 28 Apr 2008 12:53

Mind you, not much joy when you search for Quarnforth, either.

Alistair

Liz

Liz Report 28 Apr 2008 13:50

Thanks for looking! It's not just me being daft, then!
I think the name of a house is the most likely.
This Day family have caused me so many problems - see "trying to find" Day marriage to Rees, for another.
Liz

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 28 Apr 2008 13:53

It looks like Dilland to me, but that is in Cornwall and not Staffordshire. Does the family have any connection to Cornwall?

Kath. x

Alistair

Alistair Report 28 Apr 2008 14:34

There is a Dilland, Staffordshire (STS) mentioned in here...

http://www.wirksworth.org.uk/C01-pob.htm

Seems it does/did exist.

Alistair

Liz

Liz Report 28 Apr 2008 14:45

Thanks, Alistair - but where is it? I tried Google and all I got was recipes for dill and ???!

Liz

Liz Report 28 Apr 2008 14:48

Kathleen,
No, no connections at all to Cornwall. That bit of family seem to be very Penkridge, Lapley based - at the moment.

Alistair

Alistair Report 28 Apr 2008 16:09

There's a Hill End (just east of Walsall).

Alistair