Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Correcting name on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 28 Apr 2008 12:18

I know it's possible to correct a name, on Ancestry, that has been wrongly transcribed, but I don't know how. I have a William Kettlewell that has been transcribed as S_Ttlewell. Could anybody there please explain to me how I go about adding an alteration?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 28 Apr 2008 12:22

If you click on his name on the list you'll see a page with him as the main person and the rest of the household listed at the bottom.

On the left hand side of the page you'll see a series of options under Page Tools. Click on comments and corrections.

You should be OK from there on.

Jill

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 28 Apr 2008 12:33

Wow, that was a quick response Jill. Thanks very much. Unfortunately, though, I didn't explain that in this case it's not a census report but a marriage. Does that mean it's unalterable?

Heather

Heather Report 28 Apr 2008 12:36

In that case Christina, its probably from freebmd - so go to the freebmd site and you can add a correction on there. Ancestry use freebmd info for the partial name searchable bmd on there - in fact I always use freebmd first before ancestry because it is updated quicker

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 28 Apr 2008 12:40

Ooh - don't know. I'd have thought there was a way of doing so. I corrected an image on FreeBMD once by e-mailing them.

I've just had a look at the full listings on Ancestry and there's nothing obvious. But there is a "contact us" button at the bottom of the page - it may be worth just pinging them a message and letting them know.

Can you find the record on FreeBMD - that's easier to correct!

Jill

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 28 Apr 2008 12:40

Thanks very much Heather. I shall do that now.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 28 Apr 2008 12:42

And thanks again Jill, Your 2nd message came up after I'd sent mine!