Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

suggestions of names please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 29 Apr 2008 05:32

I have a lead on two of my family that were thrown out of America, but are having trouble working out what there proper names could be.

I have a GINNY POTTS and FLOSS POTTS that decided to make liquor during phrobition . Unfortunately the authorities were not impressed and didnt want them in the country. I would like to find them as they are the only black sheep in my tree. I have been twawling ancestory and ellis island for possible leads.They originated in the Black Country.

I have looked under Virginia and Florence and wonder what else there names could be.

Any suggestions please

Ajwyorks

Ajwyorks Report 29 Apr 2008 09:51

I've come across Jane being called Ginny

Andy

Penny

Penny Report 29 Apr 2008 09:52

time frame please

Devon Dweller

Devon Dweller Report 29 Apr 2008 10:52

Ginny could be Virginia, Ginette, Ginelle,
Floss could be Florence, Florencia, Floris, Flora, Feliss

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 29 Apr 2008 13:29

many many appologies. I get called away from the computer and have only just got back.

Thankyou for all your suggestions. From what I can work out I do believe the time frame to be 1910- 1930.
I will use the names suggested and see If I can find my 'naughty " relies.

Patricia

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Apr 2008 18:45

Patricia,

Where did you get these names from? Which relative are they related to and when were they born?

Rose

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 25 May 2008 12:16

sorry again for a very late reply. i have known about our 'black sheep ' since a little girl. Unfortunately I couldnt remember their names. My uncle has provided theses two names and it is all i have got to go on. They may be a red herring. My great grandmother was a Potts.

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 26 May 2008 08:28

Deportation is a federal matter in the US, so the records of the FBI may help.

http://foia.fbi.gov/

However, you don't use the word 'deported' and I wonder whether they left of their own accord to escape rival hoochmakers.

Aussietrish

Aussietrish Report 26 May 2008 12:34

I have been led to believe they were deported never to return from both mum and uncle. I will certainly go and look at the FBI site. Thankyou Paul.