Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry Personal Trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beejay

Beejay Report 1 May 2008 19:45

I recently changed my tree on Ancestry from public to personal but just now searching on their new system I found anyone can still access my tree. I've e-mailed them, usual will get a reply next working day so maybe in 6 months time they'll put it right. Anyone else with a personal tree might want to check

Barb

Huia

Huia Report 1 May 2008 20:30

I just hope that all the info in your tree is correct, otherwise it will be difficult for people to contact you to correct it. Too many Ancestry members take as gospel the 'hints' given, even when they are totally ludicrous. They hit the copy button without really looking at what they are copying, or doing their own research on the hints.
Huia.

Beejay

Beejay Report 1 May 2008 20:51

It's as correct as I can make it I hope. I've verified everything with certs where able. I only changed to personal when someone lifted a whole group of people from my tree then had the cheek to e-mail me & thank me for saving him the time & expense. If he'd asked first no problem. Oh well. they're now just names to him but I really feel as if I know them so it's his loss.

Barb

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 1 May 2008 22:41

Think a lot of the problem is ancestry itself though ;;;you go and check the other persons tree and if correct the button is there to just add it ,,,
I have wrote messages to 3 people on there with definite matches but they haven't got back to me ,,,which is very annoying more so if its branch you would like to make contact with

Babs

Huia

Huia Report 1 May 2008 23:52

I also contacted 4 or 5 people over a week ago. Only the one has replied. She is no longer a member of Ancestry (neither am I). I asked all the people if they could tell me how they are related to my family. Perhaps they are too embarassed to admit that they are not related at all.
Huia.

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 2 May 2008 00:39

Very True Huila, makes me wonder sometimes , but know one of mine is defo related to hubby's gran but still no reply ,,,never mind just keep fingers X

Babs

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 May 2008 06:03

Even if your tree is private, anyone can still search for names and see the basic details for them. It should come up under "Personal Member Trees" rather than "Public Member Trees" though, if the change you made has taken effect.

Huia

Huia Report 2 May 2008 09:29

Yes, Peter, I typed my sister's name into search. Also other family names, and found all the trees which have the names on, that is how I know that about 90 trees (some are duplicates) have my sister, most have our dad and/or our mum, quite a few have one or other of the 4 grandparents, Several have one gt grandfather, havent looked for the other gt grandparents, but 6 months ago there were several trees with several of the gt grandparents, although one was given the incorrect surname of Barnes, not Baynes.
Very frustrating when they do not want to know about errors.
Huia.

Huia

Huia Report 2 May 2008 09:41

And I also typed in the name of the alleged spouse (b 1723) of my sister, as I had looked at some trees 6 months ago. Cant seem to see any trees now. But most of those trees still have him, presumably still married to my sister.
Huia.

Beejay

Beejay Report 12 May 2008 19:51

An update. Ancestry didn't reply to my e-mails so phoned them. Bloke said he could get into my tree being me but couldn't get in being someone else (does that make sense?) so ok I thought problem solved. I get an e-mail today from somebody wanting info who had obviously got into my tree as they could quote me christening dates & all sorts that they could only get from my tree. Problem not solved. Have e-mailed again (don't hold breath) & will phone tomorrow
Barb

HeadStone

HeadStone Report 14 May 2008 17:55

Hi,
Had this problem a while ago and it took a week or so for the changes to be made.

Tetley

Tetley Report 14 May 2008 20:28

Hi Barbara

I had the same problem a few months ago. After about two weeks and several emails they changed it.