Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

what's the surname

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicola

Nicola Report 2 May 2008 19:34

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7619&iid=LANRG10_3933_3934-0231&fn=Margaret&ln=Dodgin&st=r&ssrc=&pid=17440021

Could anyone tell me what you think John and Hannah's surname is at no 60? (ignor what the transcript says)

cheers
Nicola

tinaj

tinaj Report 2 May 2008 19:39

Think it says Dodgin

Christine

Victoria

Victoria Report 2 May 2008 19:40

Dodgin perhaps?

Liz

Liz Report 2 May 2008 19:44

Dodgin - and it's the same on the 1881 census.

Julie

Julie Report 2 May 2008 19:51

I would say Dodgin..here is Sarah Janes birth

Sarah Jane Dodgin
Year of Registration: 1869
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Bolton
County: Greater Manchester, Lancashire
Volume: 8c
Page: 314 (click to

Liz

Liz Report 2 May 2008 19:55

What's the problem with it?

Nicola

Nicola Report 4 May 2008 18:14

I'm looking for a margaret rogers (or Rodgers) born 1857. She is absent from the censuses but I think she stayed in the area as she married there.

I've found so many transciption errors in names of relatives that I was working on a hunch that this may be another. I've therefore been going through all the margarets with a birth yr of 1857 to see if any of them nigh be a mis transcribed rogers. This looked like a possibility to me but I wanted to be sure that I wasn't kidding myself - looks like I was!!! lol

Liz

Liz Report 5 May 2008 19:50

Fair enough - I was just being nosy! I've had loads of problems with transcriptions (including Arabella Shrive turning into Isabella Shine) - so keep looking.