Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Authenticating pre 1837 mariages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 5 May 2008 18:09

Hi, Pease could someone help me. I have a marriage date for Mary Roberts and George Armitage (30 Nov 1807) care of the IGI web site. I would like to authenticate this. Also, I believe that my Mary Roberts links up with another family tree on the genes site - the problem is that George Armitage does not show as being married to Mary. I am about 90 percent sure that my Mary Roberts and the Mary Roberts in the other family tree are the same person - but I just need to prove it.
Can anyone come up with any ideas on how to achieve this

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 May 2008 18:18

The marriage entry from the IGI is a extracted entry so pretty reliable, but i would still check at the records office to be sure.

IGI Individual Record FamilySearchâ„¢ International Genealogical Index v5.0
British Isles
Search Results | Download

GEORGE ARMITAGE Pedigree
Male Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: MARY ROBERTS Family
Marriage: 30 NOV 1807 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M151051 1806 - 1808 0918377 Film 6900089 Film

Roy

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 5 May 2008 18:34

You do need to be aware that even if you find the original record it isn't going to tell you who Mary's father is.

That information only came in with certificates in 1837.

If you are lucky it may have witnesses whose names you recognise as family members or the register may record if either the bride or groom came from a different parish.

Parish records vary in detail quite a lot depending on who was filling them in and the earlier ones can have very little information indeed.

Sue

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 5 May 2008 18:49

Is there any way of ordering a copy of the original record?

GillfromStaffs

GillfromStaffs Report 5 May 2008 19:13

You could see if Leeds archives have a website,
you can order copies of parish recordsonline in some places I have done it many times, they sometimes have a form you can print off and fill in then send it by post, it does very often take a few weeks, but well worth it. Gill

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 14 May 2008 09:36

I have been in touch with Leeds archives. They were extremely helpful and were able to tell me that there were no family members identified on their records. The witnesses were a gentleman who appeared on several other marriage certificates and the groom of the marriage following that of George and Marys.

Does anyone have any more ideas as to how I could find out who Marys family were?

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 14 May 2008 11:21

Normally marriages were in the parish where the bride's family lived.

If (and it is a big if) there are no other families of the same name in that parish and you can trace them back through the registers to a baptism of that Mary then you have probably got the right one.

At this point it becomes a lot easier if you can spend time in the records office studying the actual registers and those of parishes around.
Other records like wills and land records can help sometimes.
I sometimes write names of individuals on scraps of paper and spread them all over the living room floor trying to see the pattern of names and relationships. I've been lucky with some unusual surnames but this one might be trickier.

Good luck
Sue

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 May 2008 11:37

Did Mary marry just once?

I was able to find out the father of one of my tree, ...a Jane JONES, who later remarried as a widow after 1837 and so her father was shown on the certificate.

Gwyn

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 14 May 2008 12:08

I think it is likely that Mary did only marry the once as she shows up on the 1851 census aged 63 as Mary Armitage (her married name).

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 14 May 2008 13:39

I am fairly certain that this is their marriage: 30 NOV 1807 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire, England

As far as I know they had at least two sons and two daughters. John 1817, Rachel 1821, George, 1827, Mary 1831. However, what I have just realised is that the first son and daughter have the names of Marys parents - the problem is again proving this. I am not aware of a Sarah.