Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seaman. Would this be part of the Navy at all?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 5 May 2008 19:51

Hi

My ggggrandfather John Wallaker was a Mate on the Ship, London, in 1871, in 1881, he was a waterman, and in 1891 he was a Crew Master of Seas on the ship James in Essex.

Would this Master Seaman occupation be classified as being in the Navy at all? ie the Merchant Navy?

Thanks

Ben

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 5 May 2008 23:51

Have to agree with Susan.....Merchant Navy seems most likely ,as all the census returns I`ve seen have RN next to their occupation, when theyr`e in the Royal Navy.

Nicky

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 6 May 2008 06:25

Hi

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, merchant Navy seems good. I would now like to try and find his seamans records.

Ben