Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Where do I start

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maisy

Maisy Report 5 May 2008 21:37

My aunt recently told me about some cousins of hers that were from Ireland. She told me the names and small bits of information regarding them but I don't know how I go about finding anything else on them and how they fit into our family. She said they were related to her mother but didn't know any more. I would like to try and trace them, but how do I go about it? The name is Kernaghan and they were from Belfast. Can anybody suggest where I go from here?

Thanks
Maisy

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 5 May 2008 22:23

Start with her mother and work back from there.

What was her mother's maiden name and when and where was she born?

Rose

Maisy

Maisy Report 5 May 2008 22:26

Rose

I've tried that but it doesn't work. Her mother's surname was Megranahan and she told me her aunt was called Bella. I found a marriage for John Kernaghan and Isabella Campbell in Belfast in 1906 but I can't fit them into our family at all! I just can't find a link.

Maisy

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 May 2008 00:42

Perhaps they weren't first cousins. If your aunt's mother's maiden name was Megranahan and the cousins surname is Kernaghan then they might be her sister's children, or they could be from husband's side.

Rose

Maisy

Maisy Report 6 May 2008 07:43

Rose
They were first cousins as this has been confirmed by other members of the family. All remember the name Kernaghan being in the family but nobody knows where the connection is. My aunt and 2nd cousin are both in the eighties and they cannot tell me any more. I know it wasn't on husband's side of the family because his name was Feenan. These Irish families are so difficult, another one to put on hold for the time being!

Thanks for replying.

Maisy

Thanks for replying