Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral rolls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tinalina

Tinalina Report 6 May 2008 22:36

Can anyone advise me on the use of electoral rolls as I have never used them.I have recently been given a photo with an address, 63 Lake Terrace Melton Mowbray and a date of Sept. 1941. I am not sure which rolls can be viewed or if there is a charge , I do assume that one would have to apply to the appropriate records office.
Any info would be welcome.
Thanks Christine

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 6 May 2008 22:39

Sometimes local studies libraries have old electoral rolls and some will do look ups for free, and others might charge - its always worth searching on google for the local records office or local studies centre and then sending them an email to ask.

As you have an exact date and address they may do it for free.

I know I've had free electoral roll lookups via Tameside Local Studies (which covers Ashton under Lyne, Stalybridge etc) so its always worth asking.

x

Tinalina

Tinalina Report 6 May 2008 22:51

Thanks Mrs Tibbets I will e-mail Leics. records office.
Christine x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 May 2008 22:58

ER's were not taken during WW2........you will not be able to find one for 1941.................

*Ophelia.taking a break..*

*Ophelia.taking a break..* Report 7 May 2008 00:14

I managed to find my aunt via using this method...well actually someone via here whom had a disc with info relating to that area,,I looked it up..Bingo! am now in contact with my long lost aunt and family..

Tinalina

Tinalina Report 8 May 2008 23:05

Thank you all for your replies.
regards Christine