Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Research Advice Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

unsub

unsub Report 8 May 2008 10:15

My grandad had a great Aunty named Gwenhiolen Hiarlles Morganwg Price Williams (born 30 Aug 1880 in Waterloo, Mynyddislwyn, Wales)

I googled the name - it being fairly unusual - and found it was the name of William Price's first daughter.
William Price was quite a crazy charismatic figure in Wales in the 1800's.

Now, do I assume that the families are linked somehow and try to discover more along that route, or is it possibly just a coincidence which will lead me off down the wrong path?

What do you guys, the experts, think?

Clair.

xx

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 8 May 2008 10:18

have you found her on any census with her family

if you have her birth cert does it give william as her father

unsub

unsub Report 8 May 2008 10:23

Sorry - didn't give all the details.

My grandad's aunty's parents were Thomas Williams And Margaret Jones - married 21 Dec 1868 in the parish of Mynyddislwyn, Wales.

The other Gwen HMP was born in about 1841. Her father was William Price, mother Ann Morgan (they were not married). She lived with a Thomas Williams but as far as i know did not marry.

I can't see any initial links apart from the very strange name being exactly the same which seems more than coincidence.

xx

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 8 May 2008 10:55

there are a few with similar 1st names on ancestry

View Record Name Year of Registration Quarter of Registration Mother's Maiden Name District County View Image

Gwenhiolen H M P Davies 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan

Gwenhiolen Lewis 1899 Jan-Feb-Mar Pontypridd Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan

Gwenhiolen T M P Lewis 1902 Jan-Feb-Mar Merthyr Tydfil Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan

View Record Newport M Glamorgan, Gwent, Monmouthshire
Gwenhiolen Hiarlhes M P Williams 1880

Lorraine

Lorraine Report 8 May 2008 10:56

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983
about Gwenhiolen H M P Lewis
Name: Gwenhiolen H M P Lewis
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1902
Year of Registration: 1903
Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
Age at Death: 1
District: Merthyr Tydfil
County: Breconshire, Glamorgan, Mid Glamorgan
Volume: 11a
Page: 348

i would love such an unusual name to research id would see what you can find out sound fascinating to me

unsub

unsub Report 8 May 2008 11:01

The 1880 one is my Grampy's aunt, and the 1902 one is one of his cousins.

Maybe it is just a popular, albeit strange, name and there is no family link to William Price.

xx

unsub

unsub Report 8 May 2008 11:06

Yes, it is quite a fab name. The Hiarelles Morganwg bit means something like Princess of Glamorgan!!

After months of looking at William, Thomas and David Williams it is a refreshing change!
One of Gwen's brothers had a daughter called Seivewright!

xx

unsub

unsub Report 8 May 2008 13:31

No, it's no wonder she was referred to as Gweny!
The Hiarlles bit was apparently originally Iarlles and means "countess" not princess - I was getting my titles mixes up.

Thanks for the translation offer. I may need to take you up on that at some point as all my research seems to be set in Wales.

xx