Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 10 May 2008 19:52

How do I find a burial plot?

I have found an obituary of my Gr Granddfather which says he is buried in a family grave. I have checked the local churches & the community cemetary but no luck.

Where will these records be held?

ojb266

ojb266 Report 10 May 2008 20:18

sorry this is not an answer but i will be watching closely as i was just about to ask this same question

Terri67

Terri67 Report 10 May 2008 22:26

Hi
I don't know if this helps, but I live in Southampton and our Bereavement Services who are responsible for burials in the city's cemeteries hold the records for who is buried where. I don't know but I assume each city must have a similar set up.
Hope the above makes sense!
Terri

ojb266

ojb266 Report 10 May 2008 22:49

thanks for the advice terri, just checked out the sunderland site for this and it is now £21 per name that is searched. i have found many peoples graves in my local cemetary with the same surnames as some of the people in my tree so might just have another look around there first as there aremany people i am looking for and there are only 2 cemetarys on my side of the river. i cant really see them being burried in the other one as they were all from my side of the river. i now know that there is such a service in sunderland i can always go there if i come to a complete stop.
thanks
ashleigh

Karen

Karen Report 11 May 2008 11:09

Hi Lancs Lass & Ashleigh,
It is my understanding that burials should be registered with the local Council, and yes, most do make a charge to search their records. Sorry, but I think its a cheek for them to charge if you know the date of the death, but that's my opinion.
However, I'm trying to trace the burial of someone here in Wales, who died in 1912 and nobody including the Council of where she lived and died, nor surrounding areas, have any records or her burial.
I think its still a bit hit and miss, but good luck.
Karen

Terri67

Terri67 Report 11 May 2008 12:43

Hi

As an added thought, if the cemetery is not regularly used now, there may be a society that protect/clean the area. Again from my experience in Southampton the oldest cemetery is on The Common and as it is no longer regularly used, there is a Friends of Southampton Old Cemetery society. We are also lucky enough to have a nature study centre there, called The Hawthorns and they have the database to search for burials in Southampton and maps of plots for the Old Cemetery itself - the only cost is for any printouts and photocopies.
This may be another avenue to look at.
Terri

LancsLass

LancsLass Report 11 May 2008 20:11

Thanks All for your reply,

The question arose because he is not where I supposed he would be- in the family grave with father & brother. He re married so presumably he is interred with them.
I have found someone who is transcribing the plots online for the community cemetary in my local area which is an on going thing (and after going to the place I can see why-its huge, over 4 acres. I still cant find him. I have wandered around aimlessley (sp) but still no luck.

I have now gone onto my local council web page and found a link for burials (I thought this was to do with recent information) anyway they charge £23 per search which seems a bit high!!

Looks like I may have to invest. I was hoping there were national records that I didn't know about, but may also try Local Studies (thanks Jonathon for that tip)