Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death Certificate, - Technicality.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 May 2008 13:38

I was told that my great grandfather died while gardening at another house in the village.
" Just dropped down dead"....This was 1937.

I recently ordered a copy of his death certificate which records him dying at his home address of cerebral haemorage.
If he was carried back home before the doctor was called would this account for that
ie. death recorded at the place where death was confirmed?

Is it the place where death is confirmed that gets shown on a certificate?

Gwyn

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 11 May 2008 13:49

Until a doctor has pronounced the death the person is still technically alive. My great aunt was decapitated during the war. Her death certificate states she died in hospital some 3 miles away. Somehow I think not!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 11 May 2008 14:01

Yes Gwyn it shows where the death was confirmed,by a MD ......I have one 1864 but th person drowned in a well 3 miles away,,,,,,so they must have taken him there then sent for the doctor,to the address.,

Also have one from 1996,,,,she died at the scene being hit by a car in Winchester ,,this is confirmed by the inquest report died instanlty ! ,,,,,,but her death cert states at the hospital so thats where she was officially pronounced by a doctor,,,,,,,,,,

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 May 2008 14:16

My Mum collapsed and died at my younger brothers house. an ambulance was called and she was taken to hospital and pronounced dead on arrival and that's how its recorded on the death cert. No ref at all to her being at my brothers house at the time she technically died.

Shirley

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 11 May 2008 15:06

I wish there had been an inquest into my great aunts death. My Grandmother (on the other branch) would probably been called as a witness.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 May 2008 22:00

Thank you for your comments.
Some of the deaths you've mentioned highlight the fact that it is was where the doctor was that mattered, ..

Gwyn

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 12 May 2008 00:40

A lay person cannot declare someone dead.
How can you define death? When I took my 1st First Aid course in 1981 we were told that if you were trying to resuscitate someone the only time you should stop working on them was if
1) Help arrived
2) You were in danger
3) Rigor Mortis set in

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 12 May 2008 10:10

well when my brother called the ambulance for mum she wasnt in her home area . the ambulance medics said she had gone but they had to take her to hospital anyway for a doctor to see & certify her, thats why she was certified dead on arrival.this was in 1980 and her anniversary is in a couple of weeks

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 May 2008 00:15

I saw on TV where a guy was certified dead on arrival at the hospital, and later woke up in the morgue. This was a fictional show, and he was a prisoner doing life for murder, and was now petitioning the courts for release as he'd finished his sentence.
Unfortunately, they reopened the murder case and found the real murderer, so I never got to find out if he would have gotten released on the earlier grounds or not.