Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Name change - Adam to Adams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alistair

Alistair Report 11 May 2008 19:03

Every branch (dozens) of my Adam family seems to have changed their name to Adams around 1840 to 1850.

What could have caused such a universal and synchronised event?

Alistair

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 11 May 2008 19:40

Cant spell....regional accents.....cannot read or write.....

I have Pool/Poole/Powel(brum accent)....Overs/Hovers(oxfordshire accent)....the list goes on n on.....

The Overs/Hovers are still the same Family to this day....but back in the 1700s it was HOVARD!

No wonder i dont know who i am! lol

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 11 May 2008 19:42

Like all families.... just because they could ! They obviously did not understand that you would come along now and start looking for them... or maybe they did !!

Alistair

Alistair Report 11 May 2008 19:54

Yes, but the odd thing is that they all changed within the space of a few years, although separated by fair distances. And they could read and write.

Alistair

Heather

Heather Report 11 May 2008 19:59

Alistair, oh if only I had a minor change like an s added to the end of a name. I have names which are virtually restructured from one generation to the next. Surely you dont mean dozens of branches - merely dozens of people?

Where did you find this change? If on census records then it only means the transcriber or enumerator decided Adams with an s is much easy to say than one without it. It happens all the time even nowdays.

Julie

Julie Report 11 May 2008 20:42

I have the same problem with Newbound been confused with Newbould don't half make it tough sometimes but we all need a challenge. this lark would be no fun if it was easy.
Julie

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 12 May 2008 00:27

The enumerator came along with his note book and said to the head of family.
Who are you then?
and he replied
We're the Adams.

Illiterate people had no idea what was going down on the sheets.

Sue

Ivy

Ivy Report 12 May 2008 05:39

There was a radio item recently about Y chromosome identities for different surnames (percentages of men whose chromosome and surname had both been inherited from "father" to son over the generations). They went on to explain that for names such as Jones, there would be no such link. Many Welshmen had been required to take a surname and had chosen Jones (or Hughes, or Davies, etc) as a patronymic-type surname, e.g. son of John, Hugh, David etc. Does anyone know whether this requirement was about that time? Since 1841 was the first time surnames were taken at the census, it might fit then - and might also explain a widespread sense that Adam "ought" to be Adams?

Ivy

Ivy Report 12 May 2008 05:47

There is a passing casual reference here:

"Fixed family names are a recent introduction to Wales. Before they were imposed for legal purposes, patronymic surnames were used."

http://www.welshpedia.co.uk/wiki/wales/index.php?title=Welsh_Surnames

Alistair

Alistair Report 12 May 2008 09:41

Well, I stick by my contention that it was happening it too many diverse places to be the work of a rogue enumerator.

Take a look in here....

http://www.adams-of-adamsrow.com/

My theory is that the famous name bearers of the 18th century were William Adam, Robert Adam, etc. whereas in the 19th century, along came John Adams, John Quincy Adams.

Alistair

Heather

Heather Report 12 May 2008 10:48

Whatever the reason Alistair, Im sure it wont hinder your research :)

Heather

Heather Report 12 May 2008 11:24

When I worked in the deepest Fens in the 1970s - I noticed that universallly ANY surname had an s bunged on the end of it - that is, Mr Young, became Mr Youngs, Miss Martin became Miss Martins - it was just accepted :)

Heather

Heather Report 12 May 2008 12:48

Exactly Dot - I have one poor soul who has three different versions of his surname for his baptism/marriage and his burial :)