Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Locating still birth?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 14 May 2008 09:47

I have a relative who is believed to have had a baby in 1850/1 - I can find no trace of this baby. Is there any way of finding out if it was a still birth?

Or, as the mother died in 1851 (no mention of baby on death cert), is it likely that the baby was adopted, and registered under another name?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 14 May 2008 10:08

If it was a stillbirth then no record would be found as the stillbirth registers didnt start till 1927.
have you looked on the 1861 census to see if there is a child of the appropriate age living with her family.
The child may just not been registered.

what was the cause of the mums death ,maybe that will give a clue if its a cause associated with childbirth

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 May 2008 10:10

Parish burial registers might record the burial of the baby, although often such babes were just placed in with an adult and buried at the next available funeral.

It is possible that the child was cared for by another family if the mother died. Any arrangements would have been informal though so unlikely to leave a paper record.

What makes you think that a child was born?

Gwyn

Liz

Liz Report 14 May 2008 10:13

1851 census they were living with her widowed father, who died before 1861 census.
She died a month after census of consumption. Have failed to find child of correct age with any of her siblings, or his. (He then moved to Australia)

Liz

Liz Report 14 May 2008 10:15

I'm in touch with descendent of the father and his 3rd wife in Australia - the story has been passed through the generations - could be wrong but would be interesting to find out.