Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New York State BMDs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 15 May 2008 11:27

Hi please.does anyone know where I can find the BMD's for New York State in the 1870's.
On the 1880 census Saugerties, Ulster, New York I have Elizabeth Capron age 6 grandaughter b New York her parents are not with her and I cannot find them on the census.
Her mother was named Ann Rickwood born 1849 England and in 1870 was living with parents unmarried at Saugerties but I cannot find a marriage for her or a birth for Elizabeth.
Searched IGI and Ancestry don't know where else to look. Any advice much appreciated.
Off to make the coffee back soon
Pat

mgnv

mgnv Report 15 May 2008 12:25

I don't know. I suggest you keep an eye out for folk offering to do US look-ups on these boards. Alternatively, check: http://www.cyndislist.com/

"Vital records registration started in New York State outside of New York City in 1881. Generally, the New York State Department of Health provides uncertified copies of the following types of records for genealogy research purposes: ..."

Note that, from the census, you know the county. This should help if you're looking at county records; I suppose the alternative is church records.

Sorry for not offering anything approaching difiniteness.

Treetective

Treetective Report 15 May 2008 12:34

You could try the following:

http://www.co.ulster.ny.us/archives/database.html

albeit i did some quick searches and couldn't find anything for the Capron surname.

It does throw up some Naturalization entries in the Rickwood name though and also:

1905 TOWN OF SAUGERTIES

Rickwood, John Head W/ M/ 80 England/ C E. Bridge St.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rickwood, Alice Dau W/ F/ 54 U.S.A./ C
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rickwood, Elizabeth Dau W/ F/ 48 U.S.A./ C

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 15 May 2008 12:56

Thank you both for replying at least now I have other sources to try. Pity the 1890 census was burnt.
pat

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 15 May 2008 15:16

Is there a chance that Alice could be your Ann?

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Alice Rickwood
Home in 1880: Saugerties, Ulster, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1851
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of Household: Daughter
Father's Name: John
Father's birthplace: England
Mother's Name: Eliza
Mother's birthplace: England
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Household Members:
Name Age
John Rickwood 55
Eliza Rickwood 59
Alice Rickwood 29
Mary Rickwood 24
Elizabeth Rickwood 22
Elizabeth Capron 6

I have one ancestor who is listed on a Canadian census as Joseph, but he was actually James. Perhaps your Ann was Alice Ann or Ann Alice?

...Just saw the 1870 census - Alice can't be Annie, eh? Will have another look.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 15 May 2008 15:40

Here is a list of cemeteries in case Ann died (I've found a FEW names, researching this way).
http://www.ucgsny.org/library/cemetery.html

Good luck.

Nothing here for Rickwood, but names are not always listed:
http://www.interment.net/us/ny/ulster.htm

Sorry, do not know of any marriage or birth sites.

Pat Kendrick

Pat Kendrick Report 15 May 2008 17:00

Lisa
Thank you for the info John Rickwood's eldest daughter was Ann and I assumed she had married a Capron to produce Elizabeth but it's a thought anyway. Ann was on the 1870 census with the family. I will have a look at the Internment side.
BPC
I will try to contact Phil De Silva and thank you for letting me know about him
Pat