Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Names prior to marriage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 19 May 2008 16:47

On a birth certificate, the mother's surname is "Jones late Day formerly Crowther".

Does this mean that she was born a Crowther, then married a Day, then Jones?

Or born Day, then Crowther, then Jones?

Liz

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 19 May 2008 16:48

Born crowther, widow of Day

Liz

Liz Report 19 May 2008 16:55

Thanks, Lindsey. That's what I thought.

And I've found probable marriage Crowther to Day, and possible death of Day, now I just have to search for second marriage.

Do you think I look up second marriage as Day to Jones?

Liz

Heather

Heather Report 19 May 2008 17:19

Yep - she would be marrying Mr Jones as the widow Day :)

Liz

Liz Report 19 May 2008 17:26

That's where I draw a blank, so far.

Wondered why I couldn't find his marriage when I was looking for George Jones to Jane Crowther (Wolverhampton, about 1863) but once I found out about the Day bit, thought I'd find it easily - but no!

I'll keep looking!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 19 May 2008 19:44

Liz

Not every marriage registration made it to the GRO, or if it did it isn't as you expect.

For a little 'light' background reading "A Comedy of Errors or The Marriage Records of England and Wales 1837-1899" by Michael Whitfield Foster explains the many reasons why!

It may be worth contacting the Registry Office in the area you believe the marriage took place to see if they can trace the entry...That's assuming they are an office that will deal with family history enquiries.

Good luck

Chris

Liz

Liz Report 19 May 2008 20:11

Thanks, Chris.
Sounds like amusing reading! (Think I could write a sequel as every time I come across the name Day - and they appear in both sides of my tree - life suddenly gets complicated!)

And, yes, contacting the Office is a good idea. Good job I like mysteries!

Liz