Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Bible

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 19 May 2008 20:16

I've just posted this on General Board and it was suggested I put it here to, so:

I have a family bible at home which belonged to a TOWNSEND family. I have tried in the past to to find the descendants but without any success. Now, I really do need the space so I will try again. If anyone recognises any of the names please, please get in touch with me because I shall hate having to throw it in the recycle bin.

The inscription on the inside of the hard cover is: " George Townsend Junr. a present from his father on his 21st Birthday December 6th 1867 "

George jnr. is the first written name inside the bible followed by Laura Fyson, George Frederick, Laura Mabel, Evelyn Augusta, Edith Clarissa, Minnie Rosa and finally Victor on Dec 23 1880.

Laura Fyson 1870-1908 was George jnr's. wife and born BLAND. There is a newspaper cutting with details of their marriage day.

Other surnames married into the family are HAUGH, ENACH, BAILEY, WALKER.

They all appear to be from the village of Fordham. I have looked it up on the road map and sadly there are three, but all in East Anglia - Norfolk, Cambs and Essex. I live in Norwich and found the bible in a job lot at an auction so of course favour either the Norfolk or Cambs (nr Newmarket) Fordham as the most likely.

Where would you suggest I could post a similar message?

Thanks for your time
Jo

Potty

Potty Report 19 May 2008 20:20

Have you thought of putting it on the relevant surname boards?

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 19 May 2008 20:28

Jo I've posted some info on your thread on General

Just Jo

Just Jo Report 19 May 2008 21:07

Potty,
I've just sent a message to Anne, found on Search buttons at top of threads. I do hope she gets in touch because it does look as if she is looking for this Townsend family. I will be very pleased to see the bible go to a new home.

Sadly, it is quite plain without colour plates but it is the names and dates which I thought would be precious to someone.

Thanks for your suggestion and encouragement.

Jo