Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone tell me what a PPS file is?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 May 2008 00:29

I have received an e-mail with an attachment, it says its a PPS file but my computer can't open this file somehow.

What is a PPS file? does anyone know? would I have to download something to view this file? is it safe?

Betty

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 20 May 2008 01:22

Hi Betty,
A Power Point file. "slide show" You can download a free viwer no problems.
B

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 May 2008 01:35

Hi B,

Sorry for late reply, still trying to find my Irish rellies who came to the UK and getting nowhere!!

So its Power Point will have to download that then, hope it doesn't make my anti virus go off mad like the last thing I tried to download.

Many thanks!!

Betty

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 20 May 2008 03:14

Hi Boo,
I had the viewer about a year ago and it didn't upset Norton.
Now have a new comp with the full system included - and hit & miss to try and produce a show! Ya never get instructions these days.
B

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 20 May 2008 07:17

Hi Betty,

You can download the viewer from here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en

Christine

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 May 2008 12:35

Thanks Christine,

I have now managed to download PowerPoint with your link, thank you so much for passing info onto me, it didn't do anything to my anti virus either.

Betty

added later after all that the e-mail which was sent to me still wont open with Power Point.

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 20 May 2008 12:42

Betty, one word of advice, if you are unaware of the sender of the .pps file, do not open it. .pps files can be, and are used to carry virus. If you do open one, make sure you scan if first to be on the safe side.

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 20 May 2008 18:17

Hi Keith,

Sorry just seen your message, I have been at the hospital all afternoon. I do know the person who sent the e-mail and therefore don't think there is anything wrong with it such as a virus.

I have Vista and maybe this is why the PowerPoint I downloaded didn't work, not sure though.

Betty

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 20 May 2008 18:33

Hi again Betty,

I think that was probably an old one that I ave you the link to, sorry, you could try this one, it's 2007

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=048dc840-14e1-467d-8dca-19d2a8fd7485&DisplayLang=en

Christine

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 20 May 2008 19:18

.pps files are no more likely to carry a virus that .doc files .xls files or indeed any other file that you might receive via an email

There were cases several years ago when viruses were transmitted via .xls (Microsoft Excel) files - they messed about with Excels macro programs - but these have been largely eliminated.

DO excercise care, don't open files you are unsure about especially if you don't recognise the sender, but don't get paranoid about it.