Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free BMD volunteers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 20 May 2008 11:21

Hi All,

I have just become a member of a syndicate to help transcribe the BMD indexes to the searchable database:

Freebmd.org

I just wanted to say how easy it is to get started. They help you with every step and you can do as much or as little as your time allows.

The more people that help the quicker they will be available for everybody to use.

Thanks

Vicky X

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 20 May 2008 11:23

Well done, I really should offer to help.

There's a thread on Records where you can get some help if ever you get stuck

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 20 May 2008 11:28

hi vicky

i have been thinking about that for a while now would love to join lots a spare time is it easy?

joyce

faerykingdom

faerykingdom Report 20 May 2008 11:44

You choose what syndicate you would like to join and I applied to join last Friday. By Sunday I had an email from the leader of the syndicate with step by step instructions.

You do have to download a program that you use to enter the data, which is really easy to use. I think every syndicate has a slightly different way of doing it, but the first thing I have to do is complete a training scan, which I am finding really easy.

There is help available from experienced members all the time and the instructions are really easy to follow.

It is well worth having a go if you have time,

Vicky X

joyceyh

joyceyh Report 20 May 2008 11:58

thank you vicky

very kind of you to explain

joycex

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 20 May 2008 12:29

Joyce, have a look on records, there is a thread by Diane called "FreeBMD - thought about volunteering"
Lots of info on there, I started at the end of Dec, and am enjoying it, it is really easy!.

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 20 May 2008 15:13

Kieth can you nudge it please as I carnt find it at all

Babs

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 20 May 2008 21:34

Sorry Babs, just seen your reply, will nudge it up for you.