Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Credits Advice Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wis

Wis Report 21 May 2008 03:54

I'm looking for some advice about the best way to use credits. I'm a newly upgraded member and am planning on buying some credits soon and was wonedering if anyone could tell me the best way to use the credits to find relatives?

Thanks Tamara

Wis

Wis Report 21 May 2008 05:07

Thanks for that. Can i ask where you would suggest that i go for the best information?

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 May 2008 05:25

Hi

The cheapest site for research is to join Ancestry.co.uk

Its about £70 for a year. But you have unlimited access to Birth, Marriage Deaths, References, & 1841, 51,61,71,81,91 & 1901 Census plus alot more, You can get 2 weeks free access to see if you like it.
I find it invaluable & use it every day as i have for over 10years

sandra

Wis

Wis Report 21 May 2008 05:56

Thanks for that. I had a quick look at their site. I have a lot of scottish and irish ancestors - i couldn't see any records on ancestry for scotland and ireland - are these available from here? Sorry if i seem a bit dim but i'm trying to figure out the best way to spend my money and get the best results. I'm new to my own family tree as i inherited it from a relative who died (suddenly) and i want to keep her work going. I hope its ok asking all these questions, I'm hoping some 'experienced' family tree people can point me in the right direction. Thanks heaps Tamara

Sandra

Sandra Report 21 May 2008 06:05

Your not dim LOL
we all have to start somewhere, i don't know the best Scottish site to join, but i have seen mentioned Scotlandspeople.

Ancestry has Scottish Census on now. same dates as english

It might be worth putting up another thread asking which is the best site for Scotland.
Or at the side of the tips page there is a search box, you might find an old thread with this question.
Happy Hunting

Euphemia

Euphemia Report 21 May 2008 09:17

hi ,wis Scotlands People very good site £6 00 for 30 credits although I have heard that they maybe increasing amount of credits soon to 50 for £6 00 not sure when though good luck Fay.

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 21 May 2008 10:15

A lot will depend on how far back you are.

Scotlands People is very good, you can view the births prior to 1907, marriages to 1932 & I'm not sure on the deaths but I think it's 1958. Prior to these dates you will need to order copt certs which can also be done through Scotlands People.
You can also view the census on Scotlands People, 1841-1901 including the original

The downside is you pay even if it's the wrong record (works out £1.20 a time)

Ancestry gives the Scottish census 1841-1901 but you can't view the original.

I use both sites for the Scottish part of my family but would advise against taking the free trial until you have a birth prior to 1901 where you know the parents names.

Wis

Wis Report 21 May 2008 12:02

Thanks for the advice. Luckily the family tree i inherited has managed to get back to the 1800's on all lines so i guess that i inherited a pretty good family tree. I will look into the ancestry membership and Scotlands People. Thanks for all the help.

Potty

Potty Report 21 May 2008 13:00

Pre 1800s, the IGI has some Scottish and Irish records (www.familysearch.org). This is the Mormon site. Beware of "Submitted Records" as they can be very dodgy. You can view the actual records at a Mormon Family History Centre. Haven't done it myself but understand you have to tell them which records you want to look at and they send away for them.

If you know the County and Parish, try Hugh Wallis site (http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers.htm) which connects to the IGI.

Be warned, Irish Ancestry is very difficult!

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 21 May 2008 15:14

Just to add. the www.familysearch.org site is free online. Not all births and marriages are covered and not all are on at the same time.

Also very few deaths are recorded unless submitted by church members

IGI stands for International Genealogical Index incase you havnt worked it out when you visit the web site