Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advise needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julie

Julie Report 21 May 2008 16:54

Hi
Can anyone please tell me what info i would gain from a Civil Service Evidence of age record on find my past please . I don't want to buy credits if it's not worthwhile
Thankyou Julie

imp

imp Report 21 May 2008 17:15

The information is not much more than you can actually see on the initial search, then you have to apply to the SOG (at a cost of £14 or so) for the actual document - which can be a variety of things, a letter, a birth certificate, a baptism record etc.

My husband applied for one which was a baptism record, he was told what the information would consist of before he paid, and it was a very prompt service. As it was a baptism record from South Africa it was worth the £14.

Gail.

Julie

Julie Report 21 May 2008 17:18

Thanks Gail
A baptism or birth detail is what i need can't find out who he was but i know he was a postman and there is a record that matches him.
Thank again
Julie

imp

imp Report 21 May 2008 17:22

Hi Julie

That's quite weird as my husbands relative was a Postman as well, in Portsmouth. It was a valuable piece of paper to us, we would probably not have been able to get a copy easily any other way and it had his father's name, occupation and so on, even his mother's maiden name.

Gail.

Julie

Julie Report 21 May 2008 17:49

Hi Gail
just bought the credits well worthwhile all i had was a postman born bethnal green 1865 and it his him also gave me his birthday.
I am well pleased and am going to send for the record
Thanks again
Julie