Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marraige by License

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

K

K Report 24 May 2008 13:43

I have just received the full details of my ancesters marraige - John Pease Jnr to Dorothy Mallaby June 1757 in Thornton Steward North Yorkshire. The couple were both listed as from the parish and married by license with the consent of their parents.

I understand that licences were usually granted by an archbishop, bishop or archdeacon. There could be a number of reasons for a couple to obtain a licence: they might wish to marry quickly (and avoid the three weeks' delay incurred by the calling of banns); they might wish to marry in a parish away from their home parish (which would not apply in this case); or, because a licence required payment, they might choose to obtain one as a status symbol.

Does anyone know if these marraige license bonds are still kept at Record Offices?

Ivy

Ivy Report 24 May 2008 14:23

I think Worcester Record Office holds the bonds for that area.

Try this catalogue for North Yorks?

http://archives.northyorks.gov.uk/dserve/

K

K Report 24 May 2008 15:05

Thanks if they are kept by one Record Office I presume they may be in others. I searched the archives site with no result but will email them next week

Many thanks again Kay