Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another 'Newbie' question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cia

Cia Report 25 May 2008 07:29

Someone told me the best site to sign up with is the Genealogy Society in London but someone else said it was Ancestry.

Any preferences or is it best to do both? I would really appreciate some guidance.

Thanks

Julie

Julie Report 25 May 2008 08:05

Hi Cia

I have Ancestry and i couldn't be without it doing this sort of hobby

Berniethatwas

Berniethatwas Report 25 May 2008 08:12

Hi
Look at the posts on here regarding Ancestry playing up. Wait till it's sorted - again!
B

Cia

Cia Report 25 May 2008 08:18

Thanks Julie / Bernie,
I have just been reading about the probs with Ancestry. No-one has mentioned the Genealogy Society do I take it that this is no better than Ancestry (when its working properly)?
Di.

Ivy

Ivy Report 25 May 2008 09:48

Is the Genealogy Society that you mention this one?

http://www.sog.org.uk/index.shtml

It is a fantastic resource if you live in London or can visit regularly. I don't, so I tend to use Ancestry much more, but the two can be complementary. Ancestry is excellent for a skeleton tree for the Victorian period. Once you have that, you will probably need material from local record offices and libraries, or central resources like National Archives at Kew and the Society of Genealogists to add flesh to the skeleton.

This is an extract describing their library:

"Our Library is the foremost in the British Isles with a large collection of family histories, civil registration and census material, and the widest collection of County Sources in the country (over 9,000). They are arranged with local histories, poll books and directories, other topographical material, and the publications of county records and archaeological societies. Sections relate to the professions, schools and universities, the services, religious denominations, the peerage and heraldry, and to British citizens living abroad, in the Commonwealth and USA. Boyd's Marriage Index covers some 2,600 parish registers with nearly seven million names: a general Card Index contains some three million references: there are about 6,000 rolls of microfilm (including Scottish civil registration indexes) and the International Genealogical index on both CD-ROM (FamilySearch with over 200 million names) and fiche."

Teddys Girl

Teddys Girl Report 25 May 2008 11:37

Would'nt be without Ancestry., as all my research has to be done on line, as I live away from where all my ancestors came from.

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 25 May 2008 14:30

I love ancestry this is just hic up at the mor why there trying new things out like beta search which I didnt like but most stuff is there on sncestry for the findings ;;

Babs

Cia

Cia Report 25 May 2008 15:47

Thanks to everyone for taking time out to reply. I think Ancestry gets the thumbs up every time!

Di.