Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1841 marriage cert?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 29 May 2008 03:41

I have received a copy of a marriage cert from my cousin, but I am confused.
On the top of the cert it state Marriages solemnized in this parish, it is nothing like any other cert I have.
Only a minimal amount of info on the couple,is this a true cert???

Regards

Amber

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 May 2008 03:53

Amber

Does it give names of the witneses?

Does it give both Fathers names and thier occupations?

Does it show an address at the time of Marriage?....

Which Country are we looking at here?....and when?

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 29 May 2008 04:02

Hi Still Looking
We Are looking in England St Pancras Middlesex
No Father
No Address
and states in the presence of
Could this just be an extract??

Regards

Amber

Richard

Richard Report 29 May 2008 06:17

Is it pre 1837? Sounds like you have a copy of a marriage from the parish registers. Certificates didn't come in until 1837. Pre 1837 there wont be fathers or adresses, just bride and grooms names whether they were of the parish, who married them and where and who witnessed the marriage (ie in the presence of)

Example here:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irishchurches/Graphics/Paull%20marriage.jpg

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 29 May 2008 10:49

Hi Richard
No this marriage took place in 1841, what I think has happened is that we have a copy of the church record not the registered record, could this be right???

Regards

Amber

Kay????

Kay???? Report 29 May 2008 11:15

I have PR church marriages on fiche from 1837 and it does state fathers names.no address though,in the presence of us,,(witnesses,) dates etc,maybe the original came from an extract record from a Record Office or Archives, from BTs??where often a photo copy can be got for a small charge,,,maybe sending for the GRO one will be more informative,,,,,,

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 29 May 2008 11:28

Hi Kay???
I think you are probably right, I found the vol no. and page no. on Ancestry, so maybe I will send off for the GRO one, this has really got me stumped, another one of those family members that like to put a spanner in the works:)

Thankyou for your time

Amber