Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Orphanage info reqd.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathlyn

Kathlyn Report 29 May 2008 12:22

A family became orphans in 1931 and the children were sent to different orphanages.

One of them was in Hutton, Brentwood, Essex.

Is there any sites on line that I can access for information??

kathlyn

Helen in Berkshire

Helen in Berkshire Report 29 May 2008 13:56

Hi Kathlyn

Trying googling 'Orphanages'; I found:

www.institutions.org.uk/orphanages/england_orphanages.htm

I also found via Google some information on Brentwood, stating that there was a boys orphanage and a girls orphanage there between 1899-1950, run by the Roman Catholic Sisters of Mercy - possibly this could be the one you are looking for?

You could try contacting Essex Records Office or the relevant diocese for the RC church to see whether there are any records available, but I imagine you would have to be a very close relative to be allowed to view them, if at all.

Have you had any success tracing marriages for any of the children? Unfortunately it is a difficult period to look at, with WW2 so soon after the family was split up.

Good luck
Helen