Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding Relatives in the East India Company Army

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Liz

Liz Report 29 May 2008 15:54

Hi there. I am planning a visit to the British Library to find out details of my great great grandfather who was a sapper in the East India Company Army.

I have never doen this before nd could do with some tips!

Thanks!

Heather

Heather Report 29 May 2008 17:30

There is a website for employees of the EA Company - have a google for it. And also have a look at the library website to see what it says (I didnt know that details would be there?)

Liz

Liz Report 29 May 2008 17:51

I have found a website - FIBIS. Is this the one you were thinking of?

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 29 May 2008 18:46

Hi Liz - there was a great article in this months Your Family Tree Magazine which could really help you - if you want - PM me your address and I'll scan the article in and email it to you.

x

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 29 May 2008 18:48

I also went to the British Library a while ago to look in the India Office collections - have you been using their India Office search site to find any details?

They are nice and helpful there - make sure you take your ID with you etc to get your readers ticket - you can do a provisional online readers ticket and reserve documents to be available when you arrive - helps a lot and can save a lot of time!

It can be daunting going to a place like that the first time so I totally understand!

Also like a lot of records offices you have to not take pens in etc just pencils.

and if I dont get back to you tonight its because I have the flu and am having an early night!

x

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 30 May 2008 02:35

Might this help me find my John Rodgers, born Bombay in 1825?

Please keep me in on the correspondence, if it will help me. Sorry you have the flu Mrs. Tibbetts.

Meg

Liz

Liz Report 30 May 2008 07:42

Yes it might. I have relatives who were born in Bombay and Disa. My great, great great grandfather worked for the East India Company and my great, great grandfather was an Irishman in the British army in India.
The British Library will only be useful to you if your reltive worked for the East India Company. If he or his father worked for the British army, the documents are kept at the PRO in Kew.