Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help please or tips

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

dee from manchester

dee from manchester Report 29 May 2008 23:22

if a family member had a baby and the baby was adopted would any family member be able to trace them and how would you go about doing any ideas please
thanks Dee

MrsBucketBouquet

MrsBucketBouquet Report 29 May 2008 23:40

Dee

I'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong but i think that the answer is no.

I again THINK that all you could do if your the one looking for the adoptee is apply to put a letter in his/her adoption file (just in case he/she is looking for his/her birth family)

Take a look at the GRO site...click on 'Adoption'

Copy n paste the following....

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

Gerri x

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 30 May 2008 01:42

You cannot search for an adopted person unless you have the adoptive name.

Adoption contact laws for birth family members changed in Dec 2005. Family members can apply for contact but you must go through an Adoption Support Agency (ASA) Your local SS will direct you. OR if you know the area of birth go to this website.

www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk

Click into locating files, type in the area of birth and it will tell you where the files are kept and who to apply to. There may be a charge for this. I've read that some agencies charge and some don't.

Only the adopted person can access the adoption file.

I'm a birth family member and my ASA located and contacted my brother. However, he doesn't wish contact and it's his right to say no. An adoptee can veto their file... anyway, read all about it on that website, it gives great information for someone just starting of a search.

Good Luck
Cheers Gerry

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 30 May 2008 02:12

Hi all, I can see that it is right that a LIVING adopted person is the only person that can apply for an adoption certificate, but what about a dead adopted person?

Meg

Geraldine

Geraldine Report 30 May 2008 05:52

Hi Meg
Anyone can apply for an adoption certificate so long as you have the GRO reference. I bought quite a few two years and no questions asked.
Only the adopted person can apply for access to their own adoption file. This is different to an adoption certificate.
As I understand the adoption laws... after an adopted person has died the file is closed and no-one can access it.

Cheers Gerry

dee from manchester

dee from manchester Report 30 May 2008 21:00

hi to everyone
and thank you for your advice

thanks Dee