Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW2 Naval Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 1 Jun 2008 22:37

My father in law died recently (May 11th) and he had served in the navy during WW2 in the south pacific.
Can anyone tell me please who I need to apply to, to obtain his service record
Many thanks in advance
Carolyn

Sam

Sam Report 1 Jun 2008 23:11

If he was in the Royal Navy then the records would have been given to your F-i-L when he was discharged:

Prior to 1972 all RN personnel were given their service record when they discharged. For pension purposes the RN retained pay details. Therefore the only information held on RN personnel who served prior to 1972 are their Service details (number, rank, name etc) and a list of dates and ships/shore bases.

See this site for info: http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/royal_navy.html

Sam x

Carolyn

Carolyn Report 1 Jun 2008 23:18

Thanks very much for your reply Sam,I know there were no records found at my father in laws house when he died, so I am assuming he destroyed them for resons known only to himself. Thanks also for the web address I will take a look
Best wishes
Carolyn