Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Broadmoor Death Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerald

Gerald Report 2 Jun 2008 10:03

I have been told that an ancestor of mine was in Broadmoor Hospital and presumabley died there. This would I believe have been in the 1920's. Does anyone know if I can find records as I have no exact dates, except his name and approx. year and place of birth. Any help gratefully received. Karen T.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Jun 2008 10:09

Perhaps his death certificate would hold clues, ie. address, informant etc.
Did he have a common name?
Have you looked online for a namesearch?

With a set date. you could then perhaps find more details of his record.

Gwyn

Sisterbee

Sisterbee Report 2 Jun 2008 11:25

Hi Gerald.

Unfortunately NHS records are unavailable for public view for 100yrs (or longer) after the date you're looking at.
I have a relative who died in a 'luntaic asylum' in 1916 and I cannot view his record until 100years after the LAST ENTRY in the register! So if the last entry was 1920 for example, that's how long I'll have to wait.
Very frustrating as I can prove he died in 1916 and I'm not interested in anyone else's details!

CC

Sam

Sam Report 2 Jun 2008 12:03

Sister B, Who told you that you are unable to look at the records from 1916?

My great grandfather died in an Asylum in 1935 and I was allowed copies of his medical records. I wrote to Staffordshire Records Office who contacted the relevant Health Authority for permission. They photocopied the records for me so I couldn't view anyone elses records.

It took about a month and cost me less than £5.

Sam

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 2 Jun 2008 12:59

Possibly the fact that Broadmoor is a Criminal Asylum as opposed to an ordinary Asylum may make a difference.
Bet

Sisterbee

Sisterbee Report 2 Jun 2008 18:50

Hi Sam, I've sent you a personal reply but thanks for the tip!

Just a little funny....... I work for the NHS and it's bad enough trying to find records of patients who only came in last week, god knows how they'll find them after a hundred years!!!!

CC

Kay????

Kay???? Report 2 Jun 2008 20:02

Sister B,

I have asylum medical records from 1922,,,by application to the NHTrust.and didnt cost anything,,the actual records were housed at Lon Met Archives,,,,,,,,but must say very little information regards medical information from that time.,,,

Gerald with it being a prison possiblilty all recors could have been destroryed,?but death certificate will say where death occured,

Gerald

Gerald Report 3 Jun 2008 09:24

Thanks everyone, now can anyone tell me what registration district Broadmoor is in so I can try to get death cert?