Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3 marriages.divorce help please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ojb266

ojb266 Report 3 Jun 2008 12:51

is there a regiester or record where i could find divorces in the early 1900s. my great grandmother sarah e bambrough married alexander crute in 1906 he was killed in ww1in 1916 and i assumed that she just re married roert spain in 1919 because of this. but have since found another marriage to a mccullock in 1914.she was still alexander crutes wife when he died according to his war records and she had a daughter to him in 1915( or atleast she has his surname).any ideas.
ashleigh

ojb266

ojb266 Report 3 Jun 2008 12:57

sorry to abandon ship but just got some visitors i will check back later and reply to anyone with any advice thanks

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jun 2008 13:01

If you havnt got the 1914 marriage certificate to Mr McCullock of proof,then it just maybe someone with the same name,?

ojb266

ojb266 Report 3 Jun 2008 13:26

you are righti have no certificatefor this marriage but the source i got it from has and they also have the same parents names as myself. i know i have the correct info as i have bc and mc. it could be that whoever has some wrong info somewhere just thought i would ask anyway. thankd for the help its much appreciated

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 3 Jun 2008 13:52

what name did she marry Robert Spain under perhaps one of those marriages wasn,t her.!

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jun 2008 14:04

She maried Robert Spain under the suname of Crute,this marriage would normally indicate in the certificate that she had had a former marriage,,and **often** of that time index would show her known name was either, Crute or Bambrough,,,

But try and see if your contact will send you a copy of the 1916 marriage,,all your given information of course well maybe correct,

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jun 2008 14:37

Hi Ashliegh,

From Alexanders army service records,,

His medals were dispatched to,

Mrs Sarah Elizabeth Spain,
43,Carley Terrace.
Southwick, late widow,

on the 25th Nov 1919,
and was missing on the 28th Oct 1916,,and assumed KIA by the same day,
--------------------------
Children listed ,
Richard Alex,bn 1909,
Mary Jane,bn 1912,
and-
Florance May--born 1915,,,

so I think that the marriage in 1914,,may not be the same Sarah ?,,,,,,she would have been having her last child Florance May.and his papers are signed 3rd September 1914,,and still married ,,,,,,

ojb266

ojb266 Report 3 Jun 2008 15:25

thanks everyonefor looking into it for me i will ask my contact for a copy of the certificate. i was just confused a bit but since i have the other certificates( apart from the middle marriage) i know i am 100% sure that i have the right person and stick with the info i have already.
thanks again
ashleigh

Kay????

Kay???? Report 3 Jun 2008 16:04

Further information from Army Service records,

Mrs SE Crute. of,
45 Cory Street,
Ryhope.
Co Durham,

was awarded ,widows pension ,,,of £2-6s 3d for herself and 3 children,,dated, -25th June 1917,,,,,,,,if an army widow married she her pension would stop,,.

Perhaps the birth certificate of the last child,,,,

,Florence May Crute born 1915 Sunderland April/June GRO index ref---------10a Vol- Page 1601 maiden name of mother Bambrough,

--as she couldnt have re-married to McCulloch and given birth to baby Crute at the same time,?,,,

Be intrested of the outcome ,will you come back and let us know the second marrige details,?