Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

USA Emigration c1872 - Website tips needed please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LindaG

LindaG Report 4 Jun 2008 16:35

I realise I probably posted this thread on the wrong board originally:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1047603
(info also in third post on this thread)

Does anyone have suggestions of websites outside Ancestry where I might look for a family emigrating from Dorset in the early 1870s please? (More detail in the thread above)

This is my first emigration and I'm really struggling. Thank you

Lin

Thelma

Thelma Report 4 Jun 2008 16:51

You might think that posting a cut and paste is a good idea

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1047603

But the people with world membership cannot access .co.uk,easily.

LindaG

LindaG Report 4 Jun 2008 17:01

Thank you for telling me this Jim, I did not know. The original question was asked on Records Office, but the only suggestion has been Ellis Island which starts in 1892 (too late)

I also posted the details on that thread in the hope it would help with sugestions:

"Can anyone offer some tips on where I might search for this family, please? I've drawn a blank so far on Ancestry :( They are from Dorset, so would I be wrong to assume it is most likely that they sailed from Southampton or Portsmouth?

I have been trying to find the HUTCHINGS (sometimes spelled HUTCHINS) family who emigrated to the USA after the 1871 UK census and before the USA 1880 census (where they were in Pennsylvania)

FYI The family are from Nettlecombe, Dorset. Benjamin (1839), Emily Jane (1841), Edwin (c1863), Frederick (c1865), James (c1867), Tom (c1868), Besie (1869), Alice (1871)

They started out in Pennsylvania in 1880, were in Corning, NY by 1900 and St Petersburg, Florida by 1920

Lynda

Lynda Report 4 Jun 2008 19:41

The Castle Garden site has immigrant information from 1830 to 1892, when Ellis Island opened. See http://www.castlegarden.org/

Andrew

Andrew Report 4 Jun 2008 19:51

Thank you Lynda. I've added it to my Favorites. No sign of them on it... but it might be useful again another day.

Brenda

Brenda Report 4 Jun 2008 21:36

The website Immigrant Ships Transcribers Guild is worth a look.

Andrew

Andrew Report 4 Jun 2008 22:08

Thank you Brenda:

For others reference this is: http://www.immigrantships.net/

It'll take some time to search this one!

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jun 2008 03:59

I've checked Ancestry for variations of the Hutchings family members, including using just first names. I can't see any family members arriving in 1871 or 1872.

I also checked inGeneas (pay to order records), hoping they might have come through Canada, but I didn't see their records (inGeneas doesn't have all records yet).

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 5 Jun 2008 04:22

For research purposes:

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Benjamin Hutchings
Home in 1880: New Milford, Susquehanna, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's Name: Emily J.
Father's birthplace: England
Mother's birthplace: England
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Household Members:
Name Age
Benjamin Hutchings 40, born England
Emily J. Hutchings 40, England
Bessie Hutchings 11, England
Emily Hutchings 8, NY
Matilda Hutchings 6, NY
Charlie Hutchings 5, NY
Annie Hutchings 3, Pennsylvania
Dotting Hutchings 1, Pennsylvania

Someone on Ancestry has the above children in their family tree. I cannot contact the person, but they are connected with the McNulty family tree.

LindaG

LindaG Report 5 Jun 2008 12:18

Thanks Lisa - yes, I'm working with the owner of this tree. However, we're both failing to find the sailing so far