Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice on ilegitimate birth

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val

Val Report 5 Jun 2008 14:09

My granddad was born out of wedlock he told family members his half brother was a baker like him but on his marriage his dad is Arthur but no father name on birth but I have found a lady whose gr granddad was a baker only one in area but dad is different could his mum have lied about dad's name as said man was married but seen pictures and family members I have look like the person's family

Kate

Kate Report 5 Jun 2008 14:28

It's possible your grandad made up a father's name for his wedding certificate to look more "respectable" - did his mother marry after he was born? He could have used his stepfather's name on the certificate if she did.

Val

Val Report 5 Jun 2008 16:24

Yes she married in 1889 but he was a nurse child with the stepfather's sister from 1881 cencus

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 5 Jun 2008 18:04

What name did your grandfather's mother use, ...was she a Baker?
If she was, a later son would perhaps also carry the name, even if they had different fathers.
They would still be half brothers.

If she was not wed to grandfather's father and he wasn't present att the registration he could not be recorded as the child's father.
There was nothing to stop him being named on his son's marriage certificate though.

Gwyn

Val

Val Report 5 Jun 2008 21:49

No my granddad made cakes and sweets and so did his half brother that is what he was told and the person I found her son looks like my brother and another picture the person looks like my nephew so it is really weird looking at these people and seeing your own family member looking back

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jun 2008 01:03

What are the names and details?

Rose

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jun 2008 09:39

Sorry....got wrong end of the stick there.....

The likeness might come through the mother's side ...?

I agree, it is weird when you see a picture like that.
On holiday in the area where ancestors lived, we saw in a local history book a picture of a young farm worker girl....taken c. 1907.
It could have been my daughter.
Even her little son said " That's my Mummy with different clothes on "

I still haven't managed to find out who she is.

Val

Val Report 6 Jun 2008 10:39

My granddad was Arthur Dalton/Dolton born 1880 and the only baker on the cencus is a Frederick Dalton from Coventry and his dad was a different name and he was married to someone else so something naughty went on here lol
I have a gut feeling that my gr gran lied about who his dad is or he made up Arthur and him being a chemist to put on his marriage certificate to look respectable

I think Gwyn the girl in the history book has a link to you pity you couldn't find out her name

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 6 Jun 2008 10:48

Where was your Arthur, the baker, born ?

Gwyn

Val

Val Report 6 Jun 2008 14:10

Kenilworth, Warwickshire

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 6 Jun 2008 21:08

What was his mother's name and who did she marry?

Rose

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 6 Jun 2008 21:17

Val

Do you know for certain that they were only half brothers?

Have you found a baptism for Arthur Dolton yet? That could be a vital clue?

Ben

Val

Val Report 7 Jun 2008 12:22

I have his birth certificate and no father on it
Her name was Sarah Ann Dalton/Dolton a spinster and she married John Reading in 1889 aged 51yrs old

Nicola

Nicola Report 7 Jun 2008 15:16

I had an ilegitimacy mystery which looked unsolvable. My ggmother(b 1896) was ilegitimate and we had no idea where to look for a father. None names on any docs. but.....

At the local library when looking for something else I ended up in a conversation with the librarian. She suggested I search the bastardy records. Lo and behold there was a copy of the record. He was named and I had an address, age and occpation (he wasn't the lord of the manor as the family folklore said nut a hawker!! LOL).

Its worth a try- go and have a look at your local records

Val

Val Report 7 Jun 2008 17:19

Thanks might just try that does anyone know if there is a site on line which will have them

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 7 Jun 2008 18:33

So Fanny Watt is John Reading's sister?

How can you be sure the Sarah Ann who married John Reading is the same Sarah Ann?

Rose

Val

Val Report 8 Jun 2008 14:06

From what my aunt told me but she did try to say it was another Sarah Ann but she was on cencus still as a widow and my aunt remembers going to see Fanny Watts