Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Could you catch TB off a baby?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 6 Jun 2008 21:03

Hi

My 3xgreat grandfathers first wife died of "Phthisis, years certified" in Nov 1863. I believe my ggggrandad was having an affair with my ggggran by then as they had their 1st child shortly afterwards.

I wondered why the exact number of years wasnt given on the death cert? Unless it had been for several years and the doctor couldnt remember?

2 and a half years before she died, her son died aged 13 months of "Atrophy, 2 months certified" in March 1861. Atrophy means wasting away so I assume that it is similar to TB but do you think that her baby's illness could have started her TB or something?

Thanks

Ben

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Jun 2008 21:17

Why not google for info on the disease?

Heather

Heather Report 6 Jun 2008 21:58

I think Ben it must be more likely Mum would have given the baby an illness like TB. As Reg said, have a google and read up on it to get a clearer idea.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 6 Jun 2008 23:01

My nan knew a woman in the 1920's who suffered from TB. The only time the symptoms disappeared was during pregnancy.
She had many sickly babies who died and miscarriages over the years but it kept the TB at bay until the onset of the menopause.

Benjamin

Benjamin Report 10 Jun 2008 09:19

Thanks I have googled the illness and found that the TB did go away during pregnancy. But my ancestors 1st wife was about 42 or 43 when she died and had TB for years so was past her fertile best. No wonder why her hubby found comfort in a much younger woman. He was a servant and a lot of illegitimate births were because the parents were in service together. Once the previous wife died he was free to wed again and wed a few months later then they christened their firstborn.

Maybe the doc didn't know how long she had TB so just put "Years" meaning she must have had it for at least 2 years if it said "years"

Ben