Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage clarification required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 8 Jun 2008 16:54

Hi, I am trying to find a marriage for Robert Saniforth and Hannah Windle on the ancestry site. I believe the marriage took place on the 19th December 1843 in Crowle Lincolnshire. However, the only marriage that I can find that is a possibility is for Robert Staniforth 1843 Oct-Nov-Dec in Thorne Yorkshire. The only Hannah on the same page is a Hannah Isle.

Is it possible that Hannah Windle's name is on a different page or is their some other explanation. I want to order their marriage certificate so that I can establish who Hannah's father was. Also, Is it possible to order a cerificate without the full registration details?

Any help on this matter would be most appreciated.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 16:58

Found this on FreeBMD. Are you sure you have the right Hannah?

Marriages Jun 1844 (>99%)
Gladin John Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
Lee George Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
MAW Eliza Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
Pickhaba Mary Ann Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
TAYLOR James Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
TAYLOR John Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
Thompson Mary Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view
Windle Hannah Goole 23 235 Scan available - click to view

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 17:01

Just had a thought. How old were this couple? Could Hannah Windle have married a Mr Isle before she married your Robert?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 17:05

Just to confuse things - found this on IGI - I think it's submitted as there are no film refs etc.

HANNAH WINDLE Pedigree
Female Family

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:

Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: GEORGE LEE Family
Marriage:
19 MAY 1844 Hook, Yorkshire, England

Source Information:
No source information is available.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 17:07

In answer to your question - yes.

I wrote to the GRO looking for my grandfather's birth. I gave his dob and all details that I knew - including the possible bits - they search for a 3 year period around that date - 18 months either side.

I think it cost a couple of pounds more than a normal cert (It was about £10 or £11 I think) and you wait a few weeks but it could be worth a try. (They never found my grandfather and I was refunded £7.50 so it's worth trying).

Jill

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 17:10

1851 census:

Robert Staniforth
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1813
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Hannah
Where born: Crowle, Lincolnshire, England

Civil Parish: Crowle
County/Island: Lincolnshire

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Disability:

View Image

Registration district: Thorne
Sub registration district: Epworth
ED, institution, or vessel: 1c
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 142
Household Members:
Name Age
Emma Staniforth 6
Hannah Staniforth 26
John Staniforth 3 Mo
Robert Staniforth 38
Sarah Staniforth 2
Thomas Windler 23

View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form
up arrow
Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2349; Folio: 470; Page: 31; GSU roll: 87608-87609.

Thomas Windler shows as brother in law so I assume that's where your thought processes are heading. I wonder if it's possible that he is Robert's step brother? I know the terms were interchangeable.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 17:18

Just checked birth places for the Windlers - both born in Althorp, Lincs so likely that Hannah and Thomas were brother and sister.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jun 2008 17:23

It could be the right marriage,

The North Lincs Council site has a searchable bmd index

The following result appears

Surname Forename First initial Second initial Maiden name DOM BookNumber EntryNumber
STANIFORTH Robert 19/12/1843 C 19.1 116
WINDLE Hannah 19/12/1843 C 19.1 116

Note the ref numbers (local ones NOT GRO numbers) are the same.

Find the main search page here;

http://www.northlincs.gov.uk/NorthLincs/Communitypeopleandliving/birthsdeathsmarriageregistration/FamilyHistory/SearchAndOrderBDMCertificatesOnline.htm

Glen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 8 Jun 2008 17:31

Well spotted Glen

OK - just checked Ancestry full listings - should have done that in the first place Jill - duh!

Dec Q 1843
Hannah Windle - Thorne - 23, 688
Robert Staniforth - Thorne - 23, 688.

These are the GRO refs as opposed to the ones that Glen is quoting above.

Jill

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 8 Jun 2008 17:37

Thanks folks,

I am fairly sure about the individuals, less sure about the date. However, thanks Glen for yor contribution. I will certainly spend some time looking at this site as I have a few more relatives who came from this area.

Would it be worth getting a certificate from the local registry office rather than using GRO, particularly as they seem to be having so many problems with delivery. Does any one know which registry office would cover Crowle?

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 8 Jun 2008 17:40

Hi Jill, where are the full listings? I was unable to find a match for these two !!

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jun 2008 17:47

Richard

Whenever possible i use the local offices, they don't charge extra for searches and if they can't find an entry then they don't charge anything.

Having said that in most cases you would need the venue for a marriage but luckily the north lincs site gives the reference number so for that area you can sidestep that little hurdle.

I believe they send a scan of the original document too (not a transcription as per the GRO)

From the council site;

There are various ways you can buy a certified copy of the relevant entry.

You can:

Order and pay on our secure online site by using a debit or credit card.
Telephone the register office on 01724 843915 and pay by credit or credit card.

Write to us enclosing details of the entry required, a cheque made payable to North Lincolnshire Council and a stamped addressed envelope.

Our address is:
North Lincolnshire Register Office,
92 Oswald Road,
Scunthorpe,
North Lincolnshire,
DN15 79A.
The current fee is £7 for each certificate.

Glen

Sherbert Rose

Sherbert Rose Report 8 Jun 2008 18:07

Thanks Glen,

I will certainly use this option rather than the GRO option. I am waiting for a certificate to come through from them for the second time - the first time they sent the wrong one.The refernce was correct but it was the wrong couple!! However, I am still confused about the full listings refered to by Jill. Am I missing something? I have looked and looked again and I still can not find a match for Robert and Hannah on the 23, 688 Thorne reference.

Glen In Tinsel Knickers

Glen In Tinsel Knickers Report 8 Jun 2008 18:54

There are partial indices and full indices, the partial one is less complete than freebmd.

Glen

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 9 Jun 2008 13:25

The full listing is on Ancestry.

You can check the pages on FreeBMD - if you go in through images. As you know the quarter it shouldn't take too long.

Jill