Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

occupation and or name of vicar in 1953

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jane

Jane Report 11 Jun 2008 18:35

has anyone any idea how i can find the occupation of someone or how to find who was the resisdent vicar of a church during the 1950s my fther address was the rectory grappenhall and his name was leonard powell , i am adopted, and am wondering if i am the daughter of a vicar or the village idiot i think he died during the early 70s i was born 1954
grateful for any help jane

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥

♥Betty Boo from Dundee♥ Report 11 Jun 2008 18:45

I think you would have to get your birth certificate this would list your parents names or do you already have that Jane.

Betty

Jane

Jane Report 11 Jun 2008 19:14

have just signed up for crockfords its £30 really interesting site but only goes back to 1963 but have emailed them
thanks again jane

Eileen

Eileen Report 11 Jun 2008 23:23

The Grappenhall website is quite extensive and interesting - it does not, however, list the names and dates of previous incumbents. Most churches have a sort of roll of honour board listing all the previous vicars and how long they were there. Why don't you go there if it is not too far - it is in Cheshire - or ring write or e-mail the present vicar or church secretary and ask for the names of previous vicars in order. You don't even have to say why you want it as it will not be confidential information.
Good luck
Eileen
birth name

Jane

Jane Report 12 Jun 2008 17:10

i have managed to find the name of the vicar from lambeth palace there was a link on the crockford site and it looks like i may be the daughter of the village idiot lol lambeth palace answered with in 12 hours so i am very impressedwith them and all of you for so helping me thanks again
jane

Eileen

Eileen Report 15 Jun 2008 23:44

Find your two references to the village idiot rather concerning Jane - maybe you are really joking - but also remember that even in the enlightened '50s children who were deaf were thought of as 'slow', so given that your birthparent(s) must have been at least into their teens, things would have been no better when they were born.....................
Searching can be very wearying, I know, I've been looking for my sister for around 40 years now............
Good luck
Eileen
birth name

Jane

Jane Report 17 Jun 2008 17:26

yes i was only joking i do realise how bad is was for people with or without problems even till the 70s when special needs moved from hospital care to the education authority responsibility. my mother was 28 and my father leonard powell was 40 as he was not the vicar i assume he was the verger or gardener rectories in those day had a huge amount of staff, and the church does appear to be ignoring my email at the moment , would be nice to see what he was employed as.
jane

Eileen

Eileen Report 17 Jun 2008 20:42

Glad your search is not taking away your sense of humour Jane.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for a reply from a church administration department - I have been waiting something like 4 years now - I waited two years for an answer (with several reminders)the answer eventually was that they did not have the baptismal records for 1944, they were archived and they would search there next time they were in the archive place!!!!!! That was two years ago, so making four years altogether. I suppose I should remind them again.
What I don't understand is why they (this was a Catholic Church)don't have to send 'returns' in to the Bishopric to show how many lambs they have saved. You would have thought there would be a central record holding place...........at least you got one reply from Lambeth Palace, so thats something you've achieved..........
Eileen
birth name

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 18 Jun 2008 21:02

Would it be worth a search in the BT phone directories on Ancestry? seeing as you know his name and area, he may be on an old directory listing.

Nicky