Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do I move forward??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 12 Jun 2008 14:42

Hi all,
I have come to a hault with one line of my family, I have been able to go back as far as a male who was born in 1820, however noone else appears to be researching the same line so no help there!!
Is the only way to progress to order his marriage cert to get his fathers name and the carry on ordering certs from there? it could get quite expensive!!
is this the only way or are there records that go back any further than 1837??
Thanks
Julia

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 12 Jun 2008 14:46

Have you tried IGI on Familysearch?

Irene

Irene Report 12 Jun 2008 14:47

That and parish records. I think you should always buy copies of certificates as it is really the only way to confirm that people are your ancestors. Irene

Heather

Heather Report 12 Jun 2008 15:51

You need to buy his marriage cert at the very least or you could waste months following a fabricated lineage.

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 12 Jun 2008 15:52

How about telling us his name and what you know about him? Maybe one of us can spot him.

Sue
x

Julia

Julia Report 12 Jun 2008 16:14

Thanks all,
His name is George Rogers he was born in 1820 in Kirtlington Oxfordshire, he married Harriet Cave
I have found his marriage and have also found him on the census infromation where he is listed as a farmer of 500 acres

Ellie

Ellie Report 12 Jun 2008 16:48

Hi Julia

Just remember that his marriage certificate will be the only "certificate" so to speak because pre-1837 they didn't issue them and baptisms, marriages and funerals were just noted down in the parish records. This is good because it means you won't be spending a fortune on certificates, but bad because it is much more difficult to research.

You may need to go to the local council or even Oxfordshire County Council to try and access the records.

Good luck.

Ellie

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 12 Jun 2008 16:52

It might be worth checking for Wills for the ROGERS and also the Cave FAMILIES.

If they were farmers maybe the land had been in the family for some time.

Gwyn

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 12 Jun 2008 16:56

Julia

If he married after Q3 1837 then you need to buy his marriage certificate.

That will give you his father's name (assuming he knew it, or didn't make it up) and then you can start looking at parish registers for his baptism.

Birth/Baptism, Death/Burial and Marriages before Q3 1837 information are only available through parish registers.....There are no certificates.

As Heather said previously...

Have you your line back to him confirmed by certificates/parish records/family records?
If you have only used internet based records you may need to check, by the use of the above, that you are researching the right line.

Chris

Petrina

Petrina Report 12 Jun 2008 17:09

There is a good chance that he inherited the land from his father. There are records of people who held land, but I can't remember when they were done - perhaps someone else knows?

Sue in Somerset

Sue in Somerset Report 12 Jun 2008 22:36

This site might interest you

http://www.ontaworld.co.uk/england/oxfordshire/kirtlington/index.html

Sue
x