Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

change of names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dawn

Dawn Report 13 Jun 2008 21:00

Could somebody please advise me? My grandmother had a child before she married my grandad in 1924. She gave him her maiden name of Wilkins when he was registered. I have always known him as a Beasley which was my g/f surname and he married under this name. Would he have had to change his name legally or could he just assume this name? I hope someone can help me with this as I have not come across this anywhere else in my tree. Thank you for your time.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 13 Jun 2008 21:14

Maybe your grandfather adopted him later.

If this was the case, I think it would be recorded on his Wilkins birth certificate that he had been adopted.

Gwyn

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 13 Jun 2008 21:44

He could have just assumed this name. You're not asked for a birth cert when you marry.

Rose

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 13 Jun 2008 22:01

since legal adoption didnt start till 1927 I dont think his birth ref no would indicate a change. However he would have needed to have his birth cert for legal stuff. Eg: when he applied for the pension he would have to prove when he was born.

chrisa

chrisa Report 13 Jun 2008 22:22

My grandparents never married but my grandmother was always known by my grandfathers surname. Her medical records were in that name also. Her death was registered in that name as that was the name she was known by. Her pension was also in my grandfathers surname. She was always just known by that name.