Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

world war 1 service numbers?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

kim

kim Report 14 Jun 2008 07:02

can some one advise me where to find info on service numbers please i have william bower on a marridge cert it says royal ?? and gives his reg number 255.265, but i cant seem to find anywhere to give me any info, can anyone help here please, thanks kim

Kay????

Kay???? Report 14 Jun 2008 07:54

His service records could be found on Ancestry .co.uk.if they have survived as some didnt,,

What other information do you have on William,area?

Petrina

Petrina Report 14 Jun 2008 07:57

I suppose if it were me, I might copy and send (or take it) to one of the Army museums. They may recognise the name and have some further suggestions. Have you looked on Ancestry for him?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Jun 2008 08:27

That regiment number seems to be linked to the Royal Engineers.

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 14 Jun 2008 08:28

This is on the Records Office too.

Rose

BessofDorset

BessofDorset Report 14 Jun 2008 09:22

If you look on the" Documents online" on the National archives site under WW medals listing ,they are indexed under name and also give service number and regiment Hope you can find him Regards Heather

Joanna

Joanna Report 17 Jun 2008 15:10

Good luck with your search, Kim.
I think you are so lucky to have a service number.
My GF was in the Royal Engineers, too, in WW1, but I have no service number for him, and have spent months trying to find any record of him, without any success. He survived the war, was not injured, and was not awarded any medals, except the three standard ones.
I think that his records must have been in that lot destroyed during WW2!