Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do we think GR is going to follow FR & become free

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Clive & Susan

Clive & Susan Report 15 Jun 2008 21:30

My membership expires this week: should I care?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 15 Jun 2008 21:59

I'll be very surprised if it does as they have recently introduced a gold subscription for 6 mths which includes access to census and bmds.

Christine

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 15 Jun 2008 22:07

How much are they charging for the gold subscription?

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 15 Jun 2008 22:09

I'm not sure but think it's about £39 for 6mths

I saw a thread about it a few weeks ago.

Edit, just found the thread, it's £34.95

Christine

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 15 Jun 2008 22:28

I think that is what they still do but normally you have to buy credits which I believe soon run out and I have been told it is very expensive to do your research this way.

It will still be cheaper to either have an Ancestry or findmypst subscription as they have so much more than census and bmd records.

Christine

Margaret

Margaret Report 15 Jun 2008 22:34

My membership runs out anyday now. I have been offered £9.95 for twelve months if I renew before 24th July.
Not interested as I cannot stand the flashing adverts when I am trying to study serious messages.
I enjoy other sites full of interest and free.
This is only about the third time that I have visited this site in one year.
I do not think that ITV have got that bit of sparkle that it needs for a site like this.
Will be in touch with many of you on other sites.
Margaret N

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Jun 2008 23:02

Whether or not they make it free, I am extremely unlikely to renew when my sub. expires.

The site has gone rapidly downhill in the last couple of years......I was considering not renewing last time it became due, but decided to have one more 'go' at it.

But it has got worse, unfortunately, and I can't, at the moment, see any hope of its improving............

Joy

Joy Report 15 Jun 2008 23:08

Too true, Reg; and even a family history magazine's recent review of it was that full membership was not worth the money.

Battenburg

Battenburg Report 16 Jun 2008 00:31

strange how renewal costs vary. Im a continuous member and have just renewed for $ 19.95 NZ =
7 pounds 70 aprox

Its cheaper to be continuous because they give it you at your starting price

Clive & Susan

Clive & Susan Report 16 Jun 2008 06:53

One of the factors that REALLY puts me off is the different prices to renew. I too have a "special offer" but they want £9.95 for six months, and they say that's time limited.

Why do I want to pay twice as much as other members - I don't. And it's poor value. The tree building tools and reports are poor and the privacy options laughable. I haven't forgotten that they shared my tree with just about every contact I had ever made just after I last renewed - and never even acknowledged that they'd done it.

No - I'm off.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 16 Jun 2008 07:24

Was your last subscription just for 6 months because if you had 12mths last time you should get 12mths again.

Christine

Clive & Susan

Clive & Susan Report 16 Jun 2008 07:40

Yes, I had a break in membership some while ago, and six-monthly membership was all that was on offer when I returned. I don't now feel inclined to pay at twice the rate of other members, and I know I'm not alone.

GR could easily distance itself from the infantile social networking sites by getting rid of all the fluffy crap like "General" & "Chat". There are plenty of places to go, if you have verbal diarrhoea, without needing to PAY to do it.

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 16 Jun 2008 07:54

Thought that was perhaps what had happened although I have heard of the odd one being told they would only get 6 months after previously having a year.

Fully agree about general and chat sometimes and the site should have moderators to stop the nonsense.

Christine

Trevor

Trevor Report 16 Jun 2008 13:45

I RENEWED MINE IN MARCH HAD TO PAY 9.95 FOR 6 MONTHS WONT BE RENEWING IT WHEN IT RUNS OUT TREVOR