Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have just looked up my g grandad

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ann

ann Report 16 Jun 2008 20:19

after my dad told me all about him yesterday and his job,saying that he moved up north with his company.Put his name on the 1901 ancestry census and up he came in someones tree.Got excited as i thought they may have the information that i was looking for.They have g grandads right parents but after that its either guess work or another wrong tree has been copied.This person has 12,000 names and i did not find any link to my family apart from ggrandads family but they were not joined or went anywhere up or down.I spend hours in records offices looking for my information and i love it.Just dont understand people that dont do it the intersting way and get it right.Do i now tell this person there tree is wrong or let them think they have everything right? Annie

FamilyFogey

FamilyFogey Report 16 Jun 2008 20:22

Hi Grannie Annie!

Might be worth asking them why they have your grandfather's family on their tree as they dont seem linked up to anything. I know sometimes if you've made a mistake on your tree you can sever a link via an offline software programme, but if they aren't deleted they still show up on you tree - but just kind of floating off on their own!

Always worth asking why they are 'floating' with no links to find out!

x

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 16 Jun 2008 20:24

No if they have the wrong info in their tree keep out, do not interfere , let them go on in ignorance. So long as your tree is Ok, other peoples mistakes are not your concern. It probably means they have blindly copied it all from someone elseand none of it is reliable !
I've come accross trees with Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse would you believe it ?
Always do your own research the proper way.

Huia

Huia Report 16 Jun 2008 20:47

But if their tree is not corrected somebody will put the misinformation on Ancestry and it will be used as a 'hint' which others will copy unquestioningly and the error will be strengthened and considered as fact.
I tried last year to get people on Ancestry to remove my sister, who they had married to a man b in 1723. One person told me that there were 8 people with it on One World Tree, therefore it must be correct! Another told me to educate myself in genealogical research. As if I need to where my sister is concerned. I would point out that I know it was my sister as they also had our parents, with dads correct y.o.b. (1899) so I cant see how she could have married a man b 1723.
Their trees are utterly ludicrous, but they just cannot see it.
Huia.

Redharissa

Redharissa Report 16 Jun 2008 21:30

Did someone say Donald Duck? Here's his family tree
http://duckman.pettho.com/tree/v_american.html

"Fethry Duck" ROFL!!

robertpplane

robertpplane Report 16 Jun 2008 22:28

If they'd put some dates and places we might have helped them expand their tree. But not on ancestry tonight!

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 17 Jun 2008 02:08

Hey, I have got the family tree of the Archers. I mean the lot from Ambridge, it is on the net somewhere. Funny, my husband's grandma was an Archer. Maybe she's related?

Laugh

Margaret

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 17 Jun 2008 07:45

Good Moring I have just been in touch with someone and we seemed to have the same tree well it was all the same as I had except when I got to my gt/grandfather and then it all went up the creek and now I am doubting six years of hard work. It will have been a waste of buying certificates and all the other work I have put into it.

Margaret

ann

ann Report 17 Jun 2008 07:50

lol Margaret i think i may have wasted time and money. Annie

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 17 Jun 2008 08:51

Annie the more i look at her tree I think she is wrong at not me , I have every certificate. well it is my husbands side i am talking about and when I told him he now says he is not interested one little bit.

Margaret x

Borobabs

Borobabs Report 17 Jun 2008 11:18

Annie,
I know when I uploaded my tree to Gr I went through it before making gedcom to take out anyone born before 1908 and what a mess I made of it my grandparents arnt married and loads of odd people matched up ;;;lol
mind my tree is only 2500 so not as big as this other persons, but if I have a defiant connection with a family member my main site tree is on ancestry so get there addy and invite them to view on there

Babs

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 17 Jun 2008 12:29

It's possible that the info you found on Ancestry is from someone doing a One Name Study or a village study. My ONS has all sorts of non-linked people in it.